The Department of Social Development grant funded Carrickfergus Borough Council to appoint Consultants to prepare a Regeneration Development Framework for Greenisland.
Vision for Greenisland:
“By 2030, Greenisland will have become a fully integrated community which has retained its own sense of character and identity. There will be a strong community network of activities and services that are based around a new civic, commercial and community hub. This hub will be supported by the improved walking, cycling and vehicular connections throughout Greenisland and its neighbouring settlements. Greenisland will have taken advantage of its surrounding natural assets to attract more visitors through the implementation of a first class network of parks, recreation, sporting and wellbeing facilities”.
The range of proposals and initiatives within the development framework include:
- Development of a Community Hub at Glassillan
- Train station improvements
- Development of a greenway
- New Greenisland park and sportsplex
- Station Road upgrades
- Development of Knockagh Country Park
- Development of Gateway Strategy
- Greenisland Development Framework (pdf 3 MB)
- Greenisland Development Framework Executive Summary (pdf 566 KB)