What is the THI and how to apply
The THI scheme covers the town centre section of Carrickfergus Conservation Area and is largely centred on the medieval street layout formed by High Street, West Street and Lower North Street.
Funding appliciations are invited for 29 priority buildings which were identified as eligible for support as part of the National Lottery Heritage Fund grant award.
Funding applications are now invited for a further 17 reserve properties, which were also identified within the National Lottery Heritage Fund grant award.
Grants and restoration
Grant funding is available for external repairs for historic buildings in use, for restoration works, the introduction of traditional shopfronts well as for bringing vacant floor-space back into use, in line with Conservation Area and THI scheme guidelines.
An education and training programme led by the part-time THI education officer is supporting community engagement through regular activity and events will also help raise awareness of Carrickfergus's architecture and architectural heritage over the 2017 to 2021 period. There are no grants available under the training and education programme.
If you are planning to apply for a grant through the THI scheme, The THI has introduced a cut off date of 22 May 2020 for any planning applications to be lodged and accepted by council, as a prerequisite for schemes proceeding. For any queries, please contact the Carrickfergus Townscape Heritage Initiative Project manager directly via the contact details below.
(Please note we have been made aware of issues for some browsers viewing the documents below. We suggest downloading the document and viewing offline if you experience any problems.)
- Carrickfergus Townscape Heritage Initiative - Information Booklet
- Carrickfergus Townscape Heritage Initiative - Application Procedure Summary
- Carrickfergus Townscape Heritage Initiative - Expression of Interest Form
- Carrickfergus Conservation Area - Character Appraisal - A Coey Architects - 2014
- Carrickfergus Conservation Area - Management Plan - A Coey Architects - 2014
- Carrickfergus Conservation Area - Design Supplement - DOE - 1989
- National Lottery Heritage Fund
- Mid and East Antrim Borough Council - Planning
- Mid and East Antrim Borough Council - Building Control
- Department for Communities - Historic Environment Division
- Ulster Achitectural Heritage
Carrickfergus Townscape Heritage Initiative Project Manager
T: 028 9335 8243
Carrickfergus THI is delivered by Council with the oversight of Carrickfergus THI Project Board. The scheme is running from 2016 to 2020 and aims to:
preserve and enhance buildings located within the town’s Conservation Area, through targeted THI grant assistance
stimulate and support the wider economic regeneration of Carrickfergus by enhancing its distinctive historic character
raise awareness of the rich built and cultural heritage of Carrickfergus through a programme of training, education and events.
- Carrickfergus THI Guidance Manual (pdf 421 KB)