Bins and Recycling
All bin collections are operating as normal.
Please note guidance below on bins and recycling.
Please ensure you have your bin out for collection by 7.30am.
The existing Sullatober HRC site will close from Saturday 2 October 2021 at 6pm until early 2022 as part of a re-development.
Residents are advised to travel to Larne South HRC, located at Island Road Lower, Islandmagee from Monday 4 October.
Please note, you will need to make an appointment to gain access to this site.
This can be done using our online booking system, available 24/7 or by calling 0300 124 5000 (Option 0).
Larne South HRC will be open Monday – Saturday 9am – 5pm during the re-development.
Thank you to all our citizens for playing your part in ensuring our vital waste collections continue as normal at this time.
Guidance for Bin Presentation during COVID-19
To help us, please ensure you follow the guidance below:
- To help us continue to collect bins as normally as possible present them roadside/ kerbside/ at presentation point for 7.30am on your collection day (no side waste & lids closed)
- We would ask where cars are normally PARKED on roadside/ kerbsides could these please be moved temporarily on collection days. This will help our refuse vehicles & crews to pass through safely and ensure schedules are completed each day.
- Wash your hands before and after handling your wheelie bins.
- Put cloths, wipes and gloves used for cleaning the general waste bin.
- Do not put tissues directly in your bins
- Always disinfect the handles of your wheelie before and after collection.
- Council are only issuing black boxes, at present.
Guidance for Box Presentation during COVID-19
- To help Bryson, please ensure you follow the guidance below:
- Do not put tissues in your recycling boxes - there are people sorting your waste, please respect their health and safety.
- Please wash your hands before and after leaving your recycling out and taking your boxes back in
- Please wash your hands before putting items in your boxes
- Please disinfect the handles and/or flaps of your boxes before and after putting out your recycling
Presentation of refuse & recycling while Self Isolating
- Place personal waste used tissues, and disposable cleaning cloths or gloves in disposable rubbish bags.
- Put that bag into a second bag, tie them securely and kept separate from other waste for 72 hours before putting into your usual external general household waste bin.
- Also, make sure to keep this waste away from children and pets.
- If anyone in your house has symptoms of COVID-19, please avoid putting boxes out for 72 hours after the two-week self-isolation period
- Do not put the recycling out while you are self-isolating
Always remember to keep at least two metres (six feet) away from your waste collectors.
Please watch out for regular updates via social media & our website.
By collecting your recycling separately we can ensure it is of a quality standard that can be recycled locally. This is better for the environment, the economy and creates local jobs.
Option 1 - Cardboard and Paper
Option 2 - Aerosols, cartons, foil, metal cans and plastics
Option 3 - Glass bottles and jars
Textiles will now be collected in overflow bags placed alongside your kerbie boxes.
If you do not have enough capacity in your kerbie box, we are now accepting overflow bags, provided it is one material type in each bag.
To reduce the risk of spreading the COVID-19 virus we are introducing temporary collection measures from Monday 28 June 2021 to reduce the direct handling of materials by staff.
• Please separate your items for recycling as described.
• Leave your boxes at the kerbside by 7am on your collection day.
• It doesn’t matter what colour of box you put your recyclables in.
• If you only have 1 or 2 boxes please rotate the materials you present each week.
• All items must be empty, clean, dry and loose.
• Please flatten your cans, cartons, plastics and cardboard to save space in your boxes.
• We accept a wide range of plastic packaging.
YES – Plastic bottles, pots, tubs and trays. NO – Plastic bags or films.
Put textiles in a bag to keep them clean and dry.
YES – Clothes, shoes (in pairs), sheets, duvet covers and pillowcases.
NO – Curtains, towels, duvets or pillows.
If you have extra recycling you can collect a box from your local HRC (Carrickfergus or Ballymena). You are not required to order these in advance; however, we suggest you check our website for opening times/site access/booking arrangements.
Please note the availability of new boxes may be limited at peak times. Alternatively, you can use overflow bags. Only put one type of material in each bag. Never put glass in overflow bags.
If you have difficulty presenting your boxes for collection please contact Waste at: T: 0300 124 5000 – Option 0.
Thank you for your co-operation at this time.
All Household Recycling Centres (HRCs) in Mid and East Antrim Borough are open to allow householders to make essential visits to dispose of additional waste that they are unable to store at home.
Opening hours are as follows:
|Redlands HRC, Harbour Highway, Larne||
Monday – Saturday 9am – 5pm
Sullatober HRC, 10 Marshallstown Road, Carrickfergus
Closed from Saturday 2 October 2021 at 6pm until early 2022 as part of a re-development.
|Waveney Road HRC, Waveney Road, Ballymena||
Monday – Saturday 9am – 5pm
Larne South HRC, 5 Island Road Lower, Ballycarry
Monday – Saturday 9am – 5pm (from Monday 4 October)
From Monday 4 October, online booking will be required to gain access to Larne South Household Recycling Centre (HRC).
The online booking will open from Sunday 3 October.
|Glenarm HRC - Dickeystown Road, Glenarm||
Wednesday 9am – 5pm and Saturday 9am – 5pm
Additional points to note:
- All the usual recycling materials can now be accepted at all sites. Normal restrictions still apply, no commercial or construction demolition waste, for details and exemptions click here.
- Vans and trailers are now permitted to all Household Recycling Centres.
- Due to COVID-19, householders will be required to unload their own waste, to ensure social distancing from staff.
- Access will be restricted due to social distancing measures which could result in queues.
- All HRCs are open to Mid and East Antrim Borough residents only (driving licence will be required for access).
Please respect the staff on site who will guide you on the new temporary arrangements.
For general enquiries about Recycling Centres in the Borough please log onto Council Direct (Request for Service) or contact Waste Helpdesk on
T: 0300 124 5000 (Option 0)
Bulky Collections are now taking place (however during covid 19 you may experience delays in collections whilst our staff continue to ensure the health & safety of themselves and public).
Our helpdesk advisors are available (to advise on request) how the bulky service will be delivered during the coronavirus.
Requests for bulky collections can be logged via our online portal – available 24hrs per day/ 7 days per week:
Householders will appreciate the waste service is operating under extremely difficult conditions at present.
We would ask householders only to present additional bins they are currently approved for:
- Larger capacity bins/ 2 Bins due to number in the household
- Larger Capacity/ 2 bins due to medical conditions.
Our crews have a list of approved properties for these support services and refer to them during collection rounds.
With regard to side waste (loose or bagged) this cannot be collected due to the increase health and safety risks it presents for our collection crews.
Please ensure all waste is presented for collection within our bins/ boxes and not outside the containers.
Our crews are working extremely hard to maintain normal services at present. Your patience and consideration is appreciated.
Self-service options available online include:
- Enquiries regarding your assisted lift/ larger capacity collection
- Missed collections
- Lost or damaged bins/ replacement bins
During this time the following services may experience a delay in completion:
- Bulky Collections & Assessments
- Delivery of free bins (brown/ blue/ red & black boxes)
- Repairs to bins (non H&S related)
- Bin Purchases
Log onto Council Direct (Request for Service)
Waste Helpdesk is currently operating our normal service (Mon –Fri 9 to 5) Operators are working extremely hard to ensure calls are answered. Phone lines are very busy at peak times and your patience when calling is appreciated. Please note the voicemail is not in service due to call volumes. Out of hours, requests should be sent via our portal.
We appreciate your co-operation as we continue to deliver our full customer support service.
T: 0300 124 5000 (Option 0)
Trade Waste Updates
Trade waste updates can be found here.
General Waste Enquiries
Chat Live with our waste helpdesk team.