Council Sites and Services

Births, Deaths & Marriages

Registration services are restricted. Full details below.

View maps of council sites and their status here

Following the strict new measures introduced by the UK Government the Registration Services offered at Mid and East Antrim Council offices are now restricted.

As far as possible, we are reducing the number of staff attending work to minimise the risk of spread of COVID-19. Our Registrar Team will still be able to answer phone calls and emails but response time may be slower than usual. We would request your patience and understanding at this difficult time.


Ballymena Office

T: 028 2563 3179

East Antrim (Carrickfergus and Larne)

T: 028 9335 8224
T: 028 2826 2385

Birth Registrations

  • Whilst many new mums like to register their baby quickly, this is not necessary. Births can be registered up to six weeks (42 days) after birth. Council are endeavouring to facilitate birth registrations where they can, and it is safe to do so.
  • If you have a new baby, please do not attend the Registrar’s office to register your baby. Instead contact the Registrar by phone or email and you will be advised what to do.
  • Re-registration of a birth - please ring or email us and staff will advise accordingly.

Child Benefit

  • If the registration of your baby’s birth is delayed, this will NOT impact on your ability to access child benefit payments. The General Registrar’s Office have agreed a process with the Department for Communities to enable parents to claim child benefit without providing a birth certificate. 
  • When a baby is born, midwives notify the birth to the registrar. This is done electronically through a ‘notification of birth’ form (CHS1).  The new mum is also given a copy of this form.  This is a legal document and during the current situation this fully completed form will be accepted as supporting evidence of the birth in lieu of the birth certificate. 
  • New mums should submit the CHS1 form along with their child benefit application form, and retain a copy of the form as it will be required when you register your baby’s birth.  If you do not have a copy of the form you should contact your midwife and they will be able to provide one.

Signing up your new baby with a GP practice

The Department of Health have put a process in place to ensure that parents can have their new baby assigned to a GP without the HS123 form which is usually issued by the Registrar.

Parents should contact their GP practice by phone. They will require the following information when they contact their GP practice:

  • Child’s Health & Care Number
  • Full name of the child to be registered
  • Home Address that the child will be residing at

Death and Stillborn Registrations

Legislation has now come into force that will allow death registrations to be carried out without the attendance of next of kin (informant) at the Council Registration office.

Please ring the office or email for guidance on the death registration process for your loved one. The phones are extremely busy but we will respond to any messages which are left. 

We would like to offer our deepest sympathy to anyone that has lost a loved one at this time.

Marriage and Civil Partnerships

Please email or phone the Registrar’s Service if you have any queries about marriages or civil partnerships which you would like to discuss with a member of the registration team.

Guidance for Funeral Directors

Legislation has now come into force that will allow death registrations to be carried out without the attendance of an informant at the Council Registration office.

A Medical Certificate of Cause of Death (MCCD) or a Certificate of Still-birth can be sent electronically from the Medical Practitioner to the General Register Office (GRO).  GRO will forward this to the Registration Office in the area where the deceased lived.  Registrar will make contact with you and the family to register the death of their loved one.

For all other MCCDs already given to families please arrange to have these along with the completed GRO 73 Death Registration Form (which can be downloaded from forwarded to Council (by email).  

Thank you for your continued support and assistance.