Covid-19 / Coronavirus Information

Coronavirus FAQs

General Guidance


Council Services

Household Recycling Centres



General Guidance

Where do I get the latest most up to date advice and guidance on COVID-19?

In Northern Ireland, the NIDirect government services website is the principal reference point for councils in relation to the latest advice and guidance on COVID-19. Regular updates are available on their website -

NIDirect website


Who should I contact about the business grants announced by the government?

A range of packages to assist businesses and the self-employed impacted by COVID-19 have been announced by the government and full details are available on the Supporting our MEA Business page.  

Please keep an eye on this page and our social media for updated information.  

Additional council support is available through webinars, and for support for small and medium businesses visit Support for Small/Medium sized businesses

Should you have any questions or wish to discuss any of the support available, please do not hesitate to contact Council’s Economic Development Team on: 


T: 028 2563 3562 or
T: 028 2563 5036

I need advice on rates, where do I go?

Find help on NI Direct

You can also contact them on

T: 0300 200 7801

Who can I contact about benefits?

The Department for Communities has issued guidance about COVID-19 and claiming benefits, details on their website:

Department for Communities

Benefits freephone number: 0800 022 4250

Employment Services phone number: 0300 200 7822

Where can I get information on the re-evaluation business rates for 2020?

Land & Property Services (LPS) has completed the revaluation of all 74,000 properties for the 2020 Non-Domestic Revaluation and released draft values online on 7 January 2020.

The new Valuation List takes statutory effect from 1 April 2020.

Full details, including the impact of COVID-19 will be provided on the Department of Finance website.

Council Services

Are Council buildings open?

It was agreed that all leisure centres, community centres, Council-run theatres and Ballymena Showgrounds will be closed with immediate effect from 19 March.

Can you still register births, deaths and marriages?

Registration services are by appointment only for births, deaths and marriages. Please call T: 028 2563 3179 (Ballymena), T: 028 9335 8224 (Carrickfergus) and T: 028 2826 2385 (Larne) for further guidance.

Are parks and play parks open?

Play Parks

​If you are using our parks park, please keep at least two metres apart from anyone not in your household at all times, take necessary hygiene precautions and wash your hands when you get home.

Parental supervision is required at all times.


The following parks are open:

  • People’s Park – Ballymena
  • Ecos – Ballymena
  • Town Park – Larne
  • Shaftesbury Park - Carrickfergus

If you are using our parks park, please keep at least two metres apart from anyone not in your household at all times, take necessary hygiene precautions and wash your hands when you get home.

Dog owners should only walk their pet on a lead and keep two metres away from other people and animals. Please do not use our parks if you or a member of your household is unwell or displaying any symptoms.

I have a leisure centre membership, will I still get charged?

As of 19 March, leisure centre memberships for Ballymena, Larne and Carrickfergus have been frozen.

I have a ticket for an event in one of the Council-run theatres, what do I do?

All events have been postponed or cancelled at this stage.

  • Refunds are available for all cancelled shows.
  • If you bought your ticket online you will be refunded automatically back into your account.
  • If you bought your ticket in The Braid a refund will be processed once we are able to reopen.
  • For postponed shows please keep your ticket and watch our Facebook site and website for new dates for your show.


Is public transport still operating?

Yes, public transport is still operating. For updated information visit

NI Direct

or Translink on:

T: 028 9066 6630

Are there any charities that I could donate to?

Information on funding to tackle COVID-19 and its impact can be found on the UK Fundraising website.

Do I have to pay to park in a town centre car park?

Our town centre car parks are now free of charge to use.

This is to assist key workers and people buying essential goods or visiting pharmacies.

Is the Policing Board recruiting new members?

The Department of Justice, through the Policing Board, has advised Council that they will not continue with the recruitment of members to the group and have extended the current membership for an indefinite period.