Leisure Centre reopenings
Our leisure centres remain closed. We are very concerned by the continuing high rates of Covid-19 across Northern Ireland. Within this context and the fact that usage of our pools and gyms before the previous lockdown was very low, the decision to reopen leisure centres would have been a very unbalanced one, just weeks before Christmas, when they would be closed again. We look forward to welcoming you back to our leisure centres when it is safe to do so, and in the meantime, we continue to offer a wide range of online fitness and leisure activities, as well as stunning parks and walkways across Mid and East Antrim.
The information below is for reference only.
Our fitness suites remain closed in line with Government restrictions in Ballymena, Larne and Carrickfergus Leisure Centres.
Some equipment within each of our gyms has been marked out of use to ensure safe social distancing for our members.
In order to manage those attending our centres, in line with government guidance and to ensure social distancing, access to the fitness suite and fitness classes is by bookable session only for both members and non-members.
Showering and changing facilities (including lockers) will remain closed but a designated toilet provision will be available.
Sessions in the fitness suite will last up to 45 minutes with a 15-minute turnaround time allowing for staff to clean and sanitise the equipment.
Attending the Gym
- Book a time that suits you using the MEActive App.
- Arrive on time. If you arrive early, you’ll need to queue outside and if you arrive late, you won’t be allowed access to the leisure centre.
- Be changed into your activity clothes and shower at home, there will be no changing or showering facilities available.
- Bring your own water bottle, towel and hand sanitiser. (Water fountains will not be in use)
Staff members will aim to keep our centres cleaned for your safe use, you can help by adopting the following:
- Use the hand sanitising stations that are placed throughout the building when entering the centre and before using equipment.
- Follow staff direction and any one-way signage in place for member’s safe use, where possible a one-way system has been introduced for your safety. Follow all directional signage or instruction from a members of staff.
- Wipe down machines or equipment before and after each use.
How to book!
Advance booking is essential, members and casuals are asked to register and book online. To set up registration click the link below and follow the instructions
Already a member?
- Select Book Online
- Select Register
- Enter email address
- Select a password
- Agree to Terms & Conditions
- Select register
- An email confirmation will be sent to your email address, follow instructions on email to complete registration
- Select Join Now
- Enter all contact details
- Select Next Step
- Receipt of registration confirmation
- Email confirmation will be received to complete registration and set up password (please check junk/spam mail also)
If you have any problems getting registered please email MEActive@midandeastantrim.gov.uk for assistance.
Wanting to become a member?
All memberships are currently on hold, when the Council are reactivating payments members will be contacted by email or letter to advise.
If you feel you are not ready to return to our leisure centres, you can continue your membership freeze: to do this please email: MEActive@midandeastantrim.gov.uk with your name, membership number and date of birth.
When will MEA Centre’s reopen?
Larne Leisure Centre, Amphitheatre and Seven Towers Leisure Centre remain closed. Our Leisure Centres will reopen when safe to do so in line with Government guidance..
What can I do to keep active?
We currently are delivering a Live Stream programme of classes throughout the week and with video sessions on Saturdays. This is currently free to use and has proven popular with those members who have already downloaded the MEActive App. Simply click into Live Streams and the daily programme is available. You will need to download the MEActive App to access these classes. A small number of classes have been added to an on demand library on the mobile app, these can be access through the on demand link.
COVID-19 is a new illness that can affect your lungs and airways. It's caused by a type of virus called coronavirus. To help prevent the spread of COVID-19 and save lives, everyone should be trying to follow social distancing measures as much as possible
Like seasonal flu, the same public health advice applies for COVID-19: if you cough or sneeze, use a tissue to cover your mouth and nose, throw it away carefully after use, and wash your hands.
The best way to prevent the spread of infections, including COVID-19, is good personal hygiene. This means washing your hands well and often, using soap and water and drying them with paper towels.
You should NOT attend the Centre If you have any of the following symptoms:
- A high temperature
- A new continuous cough
- a loss of or change in sense of smell or taste
You should stay at home and contact NHS 111 for further advice.