Borough’s sporting heroes honoured at Mid and East Antrim Sports Awards 2018
Friday 9 March 2018
The very best of the borough’s sporting talent was honoured at last night’s Mid and East Antrim Borough Council Sports Awards.
This year, the glittering awards ceremony took place at the Carrickfergus Amphitheatre.
This is the third annual Sports Awards for Mid and East Antrim Borough Council.
Nominees from the sporting world, including coaches, teams and individuals, all battled it out in nine categories to clinch the trophies.
Motorsport triple world champion Jonathan Rea was also inducted into the Sports Awards ‘Hall of Fame’.
The winners include:
- Junior Sportsperson of the Year – Ben Wylie – Football
- Veteran’s Award – David Clarke – Athletics
- Sportsperson with a Disability – Darrell Erwin - Handcycling
- Services to Sport – Don Stirling - Football
- School Sporting Performance – Larne Grammar Boys Relay Team
- Sportsperson of Year – Alastair Seeley - Motorsport
- Team of the Year – Ballymena United Football Club
- Coach of the Year – Gary Marshall – Equestrian
- Hall of Fame – Jonathan Rea
Mayor Cllr Paul Reid said, “I want to congratulate all the winners and finalists in the third annual Mid and East Antrim Sports Awards. The awards are a fantastic opportunity for Council to acknowledge and congratulate the success of our talented athletes, coaches and volunteers who deserve the recognition for all their hard work and ongoing dedication.
“I feel passionately about encouraging people to become involved in sport and as a Council we consistently promote and develop all types of sporting and fitness activities. These winners will now act as role models for the future generations in our borough to get involved in many sports and who knows, may even become champions themselves.
“Building healthier communities is a key priority for Council and what better way to show off the calibre of talent we have here than by celebrating our unsung sporting heroes with these awards.”