Ageing Well Model
This is a Council-led a partnership to obtain services for Ageing Well in the Borough.
The model is based on a community planning led partnership approach to support and promote longer, independent and quality living for older people.
It supports positive ageing with assistance, where ‘our older people are active, respected and supported in their community’.
The Ageing Well Model is an evolving model and requires that partners continue to work together and also continue to engage with older people in the local community to identify and meet needs using approaches which are both innovative and responsive.
The Mid and East Antrim Agewell Partnership (MEAAP) have been awarded the contract which will initially last for a six month period.
Through the Ageing Well Model, MEEAP currently provides the following services:
Good Morning Telephone Calls
A telephone support scheme which allows for daily contact;
- The telephone support scheme also promotes key health messages, raising awareness and promoting healthy lifestyle choices;
- Referring Elderly People to Relevant Programmes
- Progression strategies are in place, both to reduce the number of telephone calls provided (i.e. from five days a week, down to one or two phone calls a week), and exit from the service by supporting and linking elderly people to other community activities and programmes.
- The handyman service supports older people to remain in their homes by completing necessary, small maintenance jobs;
- This can include an odd jobs service such as path clearing, decorating, general maintenance and minor works.
- A Home Security Scheme which includes home safety checks, provision and installation of equipment i.e locks, security lighting and other appropriate security devices;
- A home security calendar has been produced to provide older people with home safety tips.
Community and Social Engagement
- Promoting and supporting volunteering opportunities for older people and providing a link to support groups;
- Providing training and ongoing technical support that encourages older people to use information and communication technologies such as mobile telephones, internet-enabled TVs and computers.
- Mid and East Antrim Council will continue to work collaboratively with the Agewell partners to ensure that our older people continue to be supported and that they receive the services that they need. With 18% of the Boroughs current population being 65 and over it is vital that the Ageing Well Model continues to provide for our older people.
We will continue to work collaboratively with the Agewell partners to ensure that our older people continue to be supported and that they receive the services that they need.
With 18% of the Boroughs current population being 65 and over it is vital that the Ageing Well Model continues to provide for our older people.