Grant Support Scheme
Our Grants Support Scheme is now open for applications for projects and activities taking place between 1 April 2021 and 31 March 2022.
Grants Support Scheme
The scheme is open on a rolling basis, subject to the availability of budget. The aim of the scheme will be to provide financial support through various grants categories for organisers of events as well as community groups, sports clubs, arts groups in the Borough undertaking projects which are of benefit to all of the citizens of Mid and East Antrim Borough area.
To qualify for a grant under the new scheme, applicants should be:
- A community organisation or voluntary group formally constituted with a current committee.
- An individual who has been selected to represent or compete at a minimum of Ulster level at a one-off event.
- Based in the Mid and East Antrim Borough area or provide a service that is of a clear and direct benefit within the Mid and East Antrim Borough Council area.
- Have a bank account in the name of the applicant organisation.
Grants are available towards community-based projects including:
- Setting up of New Groups
- Public Liability Insurance
- Community Events
- Civic Representation
- International Events
Council has approved measures to increase the number of AEDs throughout the Borough, including supporting the purchase of AEDs in a number of areas. In order to ensure groups are not penalised in their normal two grant applications, Council permits an additional application only for the purpose of purchasing an Automated External Defibrillator (AED) to be applied for under the Mid & East Antrim Borough Council Equipment Grant, i.e. 75% up to a maximum of £2,000.
Council will not be responsible for funding the costs associated with maintenance of the AED nor for the replacement of expired batteries, electrode pads and other consumable items (such as razors, gloves, scissors, facemask and paper towels).
Useful information is contained within the “Advice and Best Practice Guidance for the use of Automated External Defibrillators (AED)” which will advise on Buying Tips, training and weekly checks required. For further information visit: www.nias.hscni.net/our-services/aed/
If successful, it will be a condition of the Letter of Offer that the acquired AED is registered with the Northern Ireland Ambulance Service. Evidence of this will be required as part of the vouching process.
In order to ensure groups are not penalised in their normal two grant applications, Council permits an additional application only for the purpose of organising events to celebrate the Centenary of Northern Ireland. Applications should be submitted through the Small Event Category (75% funding up to a maximum of £1,000) for events with up to 500 people in attendance (participants and attendees combined) taking place during 2021. Select 'Funding for Events - Small Events' in the hub.
N.B. Funding for the event will be reduced on a pro-rata basis if profit** exceeds £200.
For events with more than 500 but less than 2,000 people in attendance (participants and attendees combined) taking place during 2021, applications should be submitted through the Medium Event Category (50% funding up to a maximum of £2,500)
N.B. Funding for the event will be reduced on a pro-rata basis if profit** exceeds £500
The purpose of this new category is to give additional support to individuals within the Council area who will act as effective ambassadors for Mid and East Antrim in their chosen sporting activity, funding up to £2000 per individual. Each individual participant will be required to complete a separate application.
To be eligible under this category, applicants must be competing or representing at least at Ulster Level for support. Applicants must demonstrate at application stage that they have or will be participating in a selection process, which has identified their suitability to represent at the required level. Applicants can also evidence that they are training to compete at this level.
Council will consider this additional application from individuals for this grant for items such as equipment, training facilities, coaching support, and kit. Only these four areas will be considered under this grant.
Before completing an application, applicants should make sure that they are eligible to apply and have read the guidance notes in full which can be downloaded below.
Applications can be made online at Council's Funding Hub. Manual applications can be requested by contacting the Grants Office on the contact details below and may be returned to any of the following Council buildings.
- Ballymena – Ardeevin, 80 Galgorm Road, Ballymena, BT42 1AB
- Larne – Smiley Buildings, Victoria Road, Larne, BT40 1RU
- Carrickfergus – Museum & Civic Centre, 11 Antrim Street, Carrickfergus, BT38 7DG
Further information on the grant process is available by contacting the Grants Office on T: 028 2563 3530 or 028 9335 8240 or E: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that applying for a grant is a competitive process and awards are subject to the availability of funds.
Mid and East Antrim Borough Council, as part of its duties under Section 75 of the Northern Ireland Act 1998, is committed to equal opportunities and good relations and welcomes applications from all sections of the community. All awards will be based strictly on the merit principle.
Council would remind you of the requirements to maintain appropriate governance in undertaking all council funded activities:
- All activities for which funding is provided must be planned and undertaken in compliance with the Government’s social distancing guidance, to protect everyone from the risk of infection. Visit the PHA COVID-19 Advice page.
- In relation to any scheme that has been established to assist vulnerable people within the Mid and East Antrim Borough, the applicant group must ensure that the benefits of the funding remain and take place within the Borough only. This includes the distribution of items such as food, household items and PPE (Personal Protection Equipment).
- Any groups undertaking projects that involve the making and distributing of PPE or food should ensure that the relevant legal guidelines are adhered to and appropriate safety information, including warnings, are provided with the product.
- As part of the conditions of the Letter of Offer accepted by the signee on behalf of the awarded group, you are required to keep all receipts and invoices relating to the project and ensure that the expenditure is visible on the group’s bank statement. This information will be requested at a future date as part of the monitoring and evaluation stage of the grants process.
- As stated in the Letter of Offer, all invoices must be made out to the applicant group named on the application form and Letter of Offer and that all expenditure must be clearly visible on the same group’s bank statement.
- Where possible the standard of the invoices should be of those set out as per the MEA Grants Invoice Standards document.
- Any cash purchases made by group members should be documented and evidence of reimbursement by the group to the member should be visible on the group bank statement.
- As declared in the application form, at no point should any member of the applicant group have any interest/financial benefit from the funded project.
- It should be noted that if not all of the funding awarded by Council can be vouched or if an underspend on the project occurs, Council will clawback this money through the appropriate methods.
Please note that grant payments will only be processed whereby bonafied paid invoices have been submitted with a claim.
Invoices should include the following information:
- Name, address and telephone number of the company the invoice is from.
- VAT registration number (if applicable).
- Invoice Date.
- Invoice Number.
- Name and address of the person being billed.
- Description or Reason for Invoice (including dates of events, etc.)
- The Amount.
- An Order Number (if applicable).
- Information on how to make payment.
- Invoices from individuals should be signed by that individual.
- Authorisation for payment by a member of your organisation.