Participation and Inclusion
A new dedicated Participation and Inclusion brochure is currently being developed for Carnfunnock Country Park.
Access for wheelchairs and pushchairs
Buildings, and certain sections of the Park, are fully wheelchair and pushchair accessible.
However we regret that due to the slope of the park, upper sections are not suitable for wheelchairs and may prove difficult for some pushchairs, especially twin pushchairs.
In recent years we have endeavoured to make the lower sections of the park as wheelchair and family friendly as possible with the development of the Biodiversity Trail, the introduction of new paths within the maze and the replacement of certain stone surfaces with paviours or tarmac.
Our updated Route Maps are available for download or can be obtained from the Visitors Centre.
All accessible toilets are fitted with personal alarms.
There is also a disabled lift available to access the education centre.
If anyone wishes to obtain their Shopmobility Belfast Membership Card they need to contact Shopmobility directly to arrange training contact them on T: 028 9080 8090.
Please ask at the visitor centre for further details.
An electric mobility scooter is available for use onsite, subject to the production of a valid Shopmobility Belfast Membership Card.
To book the scooter in advance of your visit please ring us on T: 028 2826 2471.
A wheelchair is also available for use, on production of identification containing an address.
- No under 18's are permitted to use the scooter.
- The scooter is free to use but any damage incurred whilst in use is billed to the person using the scooter.
The scooter is inspected by Carnfunnock staff prior to and after use.
- Anyone wishing to use the scooter is required to register their details in the Visitor Centre.
- Health and safety terms and conditions specify that:
- No one using the scooter is permitted to allow a child or anyone else to sit on their knee. (This includes animals.)
- Certain areas are unsuitable for scooter users i.e. parts of Wildlife Garden and woodland area in the nature reserve.
Shopmobility has 2 recommended mobility scooter routes within Carnfunnock.
- The scooter can only be issued to the person using it i.e. it cannot be collected by someone else.
Carnfunnock staff will be pleased to assist and bring it to a visitor’s vehicle in the Park but request customers phone in advance to arrange this.
The majority of signage within buildings incorporates Braille.
Additionally all the interpretation panels present in the park incorporate Braille.
A hearing loop system is in operation within the Visitor Centre.