Portglenone Forest is an ancient woodland site, once part of great woods that stretched from Lough Neagh to Coleraine and west to the Sperrin Mountains.
The plantation of Ulster brought intensive deforestation in the 1600s. Significant aforestation did not occur until 300 years later. Dredging work carried out between 1930 and 1942 created riverbanks, known locally as the 'Bann Dumps'. These were planted with spruce, pine and larch between 1938-41.
Portglenone Forest continues a history of mature woodland cover since ancient times, which protects the woodland flora and fauna. As such, the 26 hectare main area contains extensive colonies of ancient woodland flower species - Bluebell, Wood Anemone, Wild Garlic and many broadleaves and riverside walks.
The swathes of bluebells in spring are especially remarkable, as is the Grove dedicated to Dr. Augustine Henry.
Facilities include picnic sites, toilets with wheelchair access, and a number of waymarked Trails leading down to the Bann River . This forest is owned and maintained by the Forest Service.
Bluebell Festival Takes place here every year.
Car £3 (under review)