Please note: Our reception at The Braid will be closed on Friday 24 May 2024.

Commercial Waste Services

Commercial Cardboard & Charity Waste Disposal

Under The Waste and Contaminated Land (Northern Ireland) Order 1997 you are required to register as a waste carrier if you transport controlled waste as part of your business or for profit. 

Commercial Cardboard and Charity or Voluntary Organisation Waste Disposal

Household waste is controlled waste.

Council will accept this type of waste from domestic properties within the Mid and East Antrim Borough Council area only.

Household waste collected by charities and voluntary organisations must be separated and placed in the appropriate site receptacle for recycling Cardboard waste from a commercial business is Controlled Waste.

Council will accept Cardboard from a commercial business only if it is produced and transported by the business within the Mid and East Antrim area.

Charities and voluntary organisations and Commercial Businesses carrying their own waste need to apply for a Lower Tier Waste Carrier Licence from the Northern Ireland Environment Agency (NIEA).

This is free of charge.

For an overview of the waste carrier licence and application details go to the website page on Waste Carrier Broker Dealer information.

Phone enquiries regarding waste carrier licences can be directed to the NIEA Waste Division on T: 028 9056 9360.

Once registered, please present your waste carrier licence to staff at your local Household Recycling Centre and you will be issued you with an annual site pass.

Organisations, which continue to use the site and refuse to obtain a carriers licence, will be referred to the NIEA environment crime section.

If you require any further assistance, please speak to HRC site staff.

It is a criminal offence to carry controlled waste without being registered with a maximum fine of £5000.