Mid and East Antrim Borough Council standardises opening hours at recycling centres
Monday 9 October 2017
Standardised opening hours have come into effect at household recycling centres throughout Mid and East Antrim – making it easier than ever for residents to recycle their waste.
Proposals for the harmonisation of opening hours at sites in Ballymena, Carrickfergus and Larne were brought before Mid and East Antrim Borough Council’s Operational Committee earlier this year.
And at Full Council, Elected Members subsequently agreed to proceed with the plans, which are intended to ensure sites are more accessible to residents in the Borough.
The Mayor of Mid and East Antrim, Councillor Paul Reid, said: “A review process was carried out by Council Officers, who monitored throughput, user consultations, costs for operating the household recycling centres and the amount of waste being processed.
“The sites monitored were Waveney Road in Ballymena, Sullatober in Carrickfergus, and Redlands in Larne.
“The review found that Sunday was one of the busiest days of the week at the Carrickfergus and Larne facilities.
“Several other Councils throughout Northern Ireland offer residents Sunday opening hours, including Belfast City Council, and our neighbouring Councils in Antrim and Newtownabbey, and Causeway Coast and Glens.
“By harmonising Sunday opening hours in Ballymena, Carrickfergus and Larne, the overall service provided to the public would be improved, the Council review found.”
As a result of the changes, all three main sites – Waveney, Sullatober and Redlands - will be open from 9am to 5pm, Monday to Saturday between October and March. The sites are open from 1pm to 5pm on Sundays.
From April to September, all three sites will be open 9am until 7pm, Monday to Saturday, and 1pm to 6pm on Sundays at Redlands and Waveney. Sullatober will be open from 1pm to 5pm on Sundays during this period.
Chairman of Mid and East Antrim Borough Council’s Operational Committee, Councillor Dr Mark McKinty, said: “These changes are intended to maximise accessibility for residents and make it easier than ever to recycle household waste.
“By having consistent opening hours throughout the Borough, we are simplifying the entire process.”
The changes came into effect earlier this month.
A campaign aimed at substantially reducing the amount of food waste sent to landfill was recently hailed as a huge success.
Reduced landfill costs as a result of the move are expected to deliver annual savings of £200,000 – meaning those funds are available for other projects and work within Mid and East Antrim.
Changes to food waste collections came into effect throughout the Borough back in April, with residents urged to dispose of food waste into brown bins as opposed to black.
Council promoted the changes widely through the media, its website, collection calendars, Connections magazine and letters to householders.
For more information or advice on Food Waste Recycling.
Alternatively, you can contact T: 0300 124 5000 or E: email@example.com.