Equality & Good Relations
Section 75 of the Northern Ireland Act 1998 requires all public sector bodies to promote equality of opportunity and good relations. In carrying out its functions, we must have due regard to the need to promote equality of opportunity between:
- Persons of different religious belief, political opinion, racial group, age, marital status or sexual orientation
- Between men and women generally
- Between persons with a disability and persons without
- Between persons with dependants and persons without
In addition, we must have regard to the desirability of promoting good relations between persons of different religious belief, political opinion or racial group.
Our Equality Scheme is a statement of our commitment to the promotion of equality of opportunity and good relations and also outlines how it will meet its obligations under Section 75. The Equality Commission for Northern Ireland recently approved our first Equality Scheme which has been prepared in accordance with the Commission’s guidance.
- Mid and East Antrim Borough Council Equality Scheme (pdf 847 KB)