Births, Deaths, Marriages and Civil Partnerships


Photograph of two rings

A marriage notice form helps the Registration office collect information about your ceremony and prepare your details for registration.

Both parties should fill out a marriage notice form and return them to the Registration office of the district in which you are to marry, along with the relevant documents and fees.

Download the GRO446 Marriage Notice Form - please complete separate forms for each person.

Additional Information Required for Marriages

Convert Civil Partnership or Marriage:

From 7 December 2020 to 6 December 2023, couples in a same sex civil partnership or opposite sex marriage will be able to change their civil partnership to a marriage or marriage into a civil partnership. 

For further information visit the NIDirect government services website.

Religious Marriages

A standard charge of £44 applies to process your marriage notice forms, you should pay this when you return your forms to the relevant Registration office. Notice forms must be signed by the Officiant before the Registrar can accept them.

Civil Ceremony Fees

Check with the relevant district office for details of fees as they may vary.

Documents you will need

When returning your marriage notice forms, both parties must provide the following documents:-

  • your full birth certificate (authorised photocopies are not acceptable).
  • your passport
  • a consent form (if you aged 16 or 17) - these are available from the Registrar or can be downloaded (consent form GRO 455).
  • If you have been married before and the marriage was dissolved, a certificate of divorce or annulment or a certified copy decree (decrees must be absolute or final).
  • If you have been married more than once, only the documents for your most recent marriage are required.
  • if you have entered into a civil partnership before, a court order of dissolution for that partnership
  • If you are a widow, widower or surviving civil partner, the death certificate of your former spouse or civil partner,

All documents supplied are photocopied and returned immediately to you.

Full information relating to these documents, as well as nationality requirements, are available from the guidance notes which accompany your marriage notice form.

Choosing a date

If you are planning on having a ceremony in a year’s time or further in the future, you can make a provisional booking.

If you want a date within the next 12 months, you can also make a permanent booking, subject to availability.

Easter to October is our busiest time and Fridays and Saturdays are particularly popular days.

You are advised to book your ceremony as early as possible to secure the date and time you want.

For further details please contact any office on T: 0300 124 5000.

When to give notice

Marriage notice may be given in the 12 month period before your wedding date, and no later than 28 days before your ceremony.

Notices should usually be with the Registration office about 8 weeks before your ceremony but, if either of you has been married before or are subject to immigration control, forms should be submitted 10 weeks before.

Don’t delay giving notice to the Registration office because you don’t have the relevant documents— it is better to give notice first and return any outstanding documents at a later date. However, all relevant documents must be returned to the relevant Registration office before a marriage can take place.

Type of marriage

If you are having a civil wedding, you should make advance arrangements with the Registrar before paying a deposit at venues etc. This is particularly important during busy times of the year. Your forms can be posted or delivered to the relevant Registration office.

Returning your forms

Marriage notice forms do not have to be returned in person. However, the couple must visit the Registration office before your ceremony to collect your marriage schedule, if you are having a religious marriage or, in the case of a civil marriage, to finalise arrangements with the Registration staff.

You will be asked to sign a declaration, stating that the information you and your partner have given is correct.

For Civil Marriages the Registration staff will also need further details from you such as readings, etc.

They can then prepare your marriage schedule from the information you have provided, allowing your wedding to take place.

A marriage notice form lasts for 12 months from the date of notice.

Ceremony times

  • Weekday ceremonies take place between the following times: Between 10am and 4.30pm
  • Saturday ceremonies take place between the following times: Between 10am and 3pm
  • Bank Holiday ceremonies take place between 10am and 1pm.

On the day

Full details of the ceremony format, including information about readings, music, etc will be discussed with you when to call at this office to finalise your ceremony details before your chosen date.

Details of your choice of format should be returned to the Registration Office no later than seven days before your ceremony date, along with any necessary documents or equipment.

Marriage index search application form

If you have ever lived in Northern Ireland but are not currently living here and need to produce a document showing you are free to marry, you should complete a marriage index search application form.

Marriage Notice Form and Guidance Notes - GRO446 - NI Direct

Immigration Status Statement Form & Notes (Only applicable for Non UK, EEA or Swiss Nationals) - NI Direct


If you change your plans or decide to postpone your ceremony, you must notify the relevant Registration office as soon as possible.

A £20 administration charge will be deducted from any monies being refunded.

Marriage index search application form

If you have ever lived in Northern Ireland but are not currently living here and need to produce a document showing you are free to marry, you should complete a marriage index search application form.