MEAqua Swimming Lessons
Your journey starts here with MEAqua Academy...
Levels 1 to 4
For age requirements please see our Terms and Conditions below.
- Enter the water confidently and unaided
- Put face in the water and blow bubbles for 5 seconds
- Fully submerge the head
- Identify / retrieve an object from the bottom of the pool
- Regain an upright position from the front and the back with support
- Push and glide in a horizontal position to or from a wall
- Push off wall or floor to show a horizontal position on the front with face in the water arms stretched in front
- Push off wall or floor to show a horizontal position on the back arms stretched
- Show a motionless floating position and hold for 5 seconds without aids
- Regain an upright position from the front after 5 seconds without support
- Regain an upright position from the back after 5 seconds without support
- Climb out of pool without
- Submerge completely for 5 seconds
- Hold a trucked floating position for 10 seconds
- Sink, push away from the wall and maintain a streamlined position
- From the wall, push off with two feet and hold streamlined glide on front for 5 seconds
- Lie flat on the back at the surface of the water without support for 5 seconds and regain the standing position
- With eyes open pick up an object from the pool floor without hesitation and using both hands * Depths vary from Pools (minimum 0.9-1m)
- Tread water for 10 seconds
- Kick 5m on front using floats blowing bubbles
- Kick 5m on back using floats
- Move through the water using hop skip and jump / exit safely
- Demonstrate an understanding of pool rules
- Kick 5m using an alternating action without aids on the front
- Kick 5m using an alternating action without aids on the back
- Using arms and legs swim 5m on the front
- Using arms and legs swim 5m on the back
- Kick 5m on front using a Breaststroke type kick, with feet turned out with a float
- Kick 5 m on back with hands held still at side
- Using arms and legs swim for 10 m on the front
- Using arms and legs swim for 10 m on the back
- Kick 5m, on front, using a dolphin kick
- Kick 5m, on front, using a front crawl, arms stretched out in front
- Kick 5m, on back, using a back crawl, arms stretched above head
- Using arms and legs swim for 10m on the front with regular breathing technique
- Using arms and legs swim for 10m on the back
- Using arms and legs swim for 10m using breaststroke with regular breathing technique
Levels 5, 6 and 7
- Two different jumps entering feet first and showing control in flight and on landing * depths vary from Pools (minimum depth 0.9- 1.5m)
- Scull head first, on the back, for a distance of 10m
- Scull feet first, on the back, for a distance of 5m
- Tread water for 30 seconds
- Demonstrate an action for getting help
- • Head first surface dive, in water of at least full stretch height depth (or 1.8) to show complete submersion
- Star float on the front or the back for 5 seconds
- Submerge, move underwater to an object positioned 5m away, pick up object, surface and return to start on the back carrying the object
- Tread water, using hands and feet, for a minimum of 1 minute
- Start with a push and glide swim underwater, covering a distance of 3m
- A straddle jump entry into water of at least full reach height (or 1.8m)
- Starting with a push and glide demonstrate a forward somersault / perform a sitting Dive
- • Kick 15m using front crawl leg action, with hands held still out in front
- Kick 15m using breaststroke
- Kick 15m using Back Crawl leg action, without a float with arms extended overhead, hands together
- Kick 15m using dolphin action
- Swim 20m Front Crawl, full stroke, using efficient technique and regular breathing
- Swim 20m Back Crawl, full stroke, using efficient technique
- Swim 25m full stroke Front Crawl showing basic technique with regular breathing
- Swim 25m full stroke Back Crawl showing basic technique with regular breathing
- Swim 25m full stroke Breaststroke showing basic technique with regular breathing
- Using a dolphin action, without float, kick 10m on the front
- Exit the water without using the steps
- Swim 25m Butterfly
- Kick 25m using an efficient Front Crawl leg action, using a kick board
- Kick 25m using an efficient Breaststroke leg action, using a kick board
- Kick 25m using an efficient Back Crawl leg action, using a kick board
- Swim 50m full stroke Breaststroke showing effective technique with regular breathing
- Swim 50m full stroke Front Crawl showing effective technique with regular breathing
- Swim 50m full stroke Back Crawl showing effective technique
Completed the MEAqua Academy and want to challenge yourself?
Why not try our Advanced lessons (Bronze, Silver and Gold) and Lifesaving (Levels 1, 2 and 3).
Apply online at the MEAqua site
Terms & Conditions
Minimum Ages for MEAqua Academy:
- Larne Pre-School – Age 3 years
- Larne Swimming Lessons – Age 4 years
- Seven Towers Swimming Lessons – Age 5 years
- Amphitheatre Wellness Centre – Age 4 years
Please note – the minimum age differs from site to site as determined by pool depth.
Before you leave home to bring your child to swimming lesson:
- Do not send your child if they are suffering from vomiting/diarrhea or showing any symptoms of COVID-19 prior to attending (temperature, cough, difficulty breathing, or anosmia e.g. loss of taste or smell.
- Parents are advised (but not compulsory) to wear a face covering at all times within public areas of the centre. Hand sanitisers are available throughout the building.
- Only one parent/guardian can drop off and pick up.
- MOBILE PHONES are not permitted on poolside or changing areas.
- We ask that you turn up on time for your lesson, if you are too early or too late access may be restricted.
- Changing facilities will be available.
- Please assist your child with goggles/swim caps to ensure they are ready for their lesson.
- We ask that once your child is with the teacher that you leave the changing rooms , but must remain in the centre. We ask that you wait in the spectating area or Café area for the duration of the lesson, in case we need to contact you.
- Changing and showers will be available for use after the lesson. Hairdryers are available
- Equipment will be available during the lesson. Care will be taken to rotate and clean equipment after every lesson.
- Appropriate swimwear must be worn.
- Nose clips not permitted
- Long hair must be tied back
- Jewellery must not be worn.
- Latex verruca sock only (not material)
- Class Duration – each lesson will last 30minutes
- Lessons are currently 1:10 teacher to pupil up to levels 3 and 1 : 12 teacher to pupil from level 4
- Parents and Carers are not allowed on Poolside at any times.
Saturday 16 April – Friday 22 April 2022
Please note – due to Platinum Jubilee Thursday 2 and Friday 3 June 2022 sessions may need rescheduled. Details on this will follow closed to the time.
- A payment of £52.50 per child for 10 weeks will be asked for at the time of enrolment to secure your child /children’s swim place. This amount can be paid through the home portal. Cash payers can pay via reception or by phone.
- You will receive an email on week 7 to notify you to top up your portal. Reminder emails will be sent on week 8 and week 9.
- Failure to top up your account could result in your child/children losing their slot.
In general, Swimming Lessons are non – refundable.
Refunds will only be made in extreme circumstances and at management discretion e.g. Medical Reason.
Request should be made in writing, supporting evidence will be required.
To request a refund please email: MEAqua@midandeastantrim.gov.uk