Just five minutes in the outdoor gym every day can lead to improvements in your health and wellbeing. Our outdoor gyms are completely free to use and are suitable for all, from experienced gym goers to beginners. The equipment offers any user of the park an opportunity to increase their physical activity and is designed to give a mix of cardiovascular, strength and toning exercises. All equipment has clear guidelines for proper use and information on which part of the body it is benefitting.
Outdoor gyms in the Borough area are located at:
- Bashfordsland Wood, Carrickfergus.
- Whitehead Diamond Jubilee Wood, Whitehead.
- Blackhead Path, Whitehead.
- Recreation Grounds, Whitehead.
- Greenisland Playing Fields, Carrickfergus.
- Town Park, Larne.
- Carnfunnock Country Park, Larne.
- Ecos Centre, Ballymena.
- The People’s Park, Ballymena.
- Amphitheatre Trim Trail, Carrickfergus
- The Promenade, Larne
- Jubilee Park, Glynn
- Cargan Playing Fields, Ballymena
- Ahoghill Play Area, Ballymena
- Broughshane Play Area, Ballymena
We are committed to improving the health and wellbeing of our residents. Our outdoor gyms shows how we continue to maximise the services available in our parks. The installations have been specially configured to allow users to get the maximum benefit of the equipment in the shortest time. By concentrating the equipment together, we have made things easier for people in the park who want a quick exercise routine during their lunchtime break or after a walk. Physical activity produces real benefits for people and is important for all ages and abilities. It can help you keep a healthy weight and help improve your mood, reduce anxiety and protect against depression.
Benefits of exercising outdoors
- Burn up to 20 percent more calories
- Work harder and improve balance on uneven surfaces and in natural elements
- Perfect full body workout
- Vitamin D boost good for bones
- A really healthy glow
Top tips for exercising outdoors
- Wear plenty of layers
- Be seen, be safe - wear high-vis
- Train with friends or family - make exercise social
- Carry a mobile phone
- Be aware of the terrain, environment, wildlife and livestock
- Water - drink plenty