Request help with your bin collection
Support Services we offer for bin collections:
Assisted Lift/ Collect & Return
If you're physically unable to leave your bin out for collection and have no-one to do it for you, you can apply for our free assisted bin lift service. This means our refuse collection staff will take the bin from your property, empty it and then return it to your home.
Larger Capacity Bin Collections
If you require additional waste capacity due to medical needs or a large family.
General Waste Support Service Enquiries
Chat with our waste helpdesk BOT by pressing at the bottom of the page.
To apply for either/both of these services:
- Download a form (by clicking here or at the download link below) and return to email@example.com
- Log onto Council Direct (Request for Service) and select the relevant option under Support Services and a form can be emailed out to you
- Alternatively, call our Waste helpdesk on T: 0300 124 5000 (0) and our advisors can post out a form.
- A member of the Waste Operations Team will be in touch to undertake an assessment of your needs.
- We'll process your request and confirm if you are eligible. (Please note this can take up to 10 working days from date of request).
- If you are eligible, we'll add you to our assisted bin lift/ larger capacity register and notify you of this provision.
- Householders can find more information about larger capacity on our Bins & Recycling FAQs page.
Review of Support Services
Council's Waste Operations provide the following support services to householders across Ballymena, Carrickfergus and Larne:
- Assisted Lift – refuse & recycling containers are collected and returned to a designated point for householders who are not physically capable or who do not have an able-bodied person at the property to present on their behalf.
- Larger Capacity – Households with more than 6 / 9 or medical conditions which create additional non-recyclable waste are currently eligible for up to 480L residual capacity.
In line with the digital transformation & service improvement agenda for waste, we aim to align and centrally manage this data to:
- ensure consistency of standards
- deliver householder service expectations
- provide safe, effective & efficient use of resources
- identify areas for development
What is the review for?
In 2019 Waste Operations issued over 2500 review letters to householders across the Borough. These letters were issued to anyone who had been approved for either/ both of these services within the last 10 years.
We have received updated information from over 1000 householders; however, we now require the remaining households with these support services to return review applications.
Council appreciates householders circumstances change over time; this review exercise will ensure we manage and maintain the most accurate and up to date householder information regarding specific service needs.
A reminder was issued to householders who previously did not return review forms on 7 Jan 2020.
If you require assistance completing the form or further information about the process please do not hesitate to contact our waste helpdesk team on 0300 124 5000 (0) who will be happy to help.
What if I have a form and I don’t receive the service?
This review includes households who have been approved for support services dating back over 10 years. We appreciate circumstances have changed e.g. householders may have moved and not updated us of their new address.
Households who have received a review form for a previous occupier can call our Helpdesk on T: 0300 124 5000 (0). Our Helpdesk will make a note this service is no longer required at the address and records will be updated.
I currently get a collect and return – when I get assessed will the service change?
Householders who continue to require a collect and return service can be reassured the existing arrangement will not change as a result of this review.
Supervisors will be completing a number of checks during the assessment to ensure we continue to meet the needs of householders e.g. exact location of bin/ access via gates/need for keypad entry/health and safety considerations for the crew.
I don’t need my larger bin anymore, do I still complete the form?
This review includes all households approved dating back over 10 years. We appreciate circumstances have changed; householders may no longer require a bin as numbers in the household have reduced/ medical needs have changed.
Households who have queries about their particular needs can call our Helpdesk on T: 0300 124 5000 (0) for assistance. It may be the case they wish to be removed from the list for this support service in which case helpdesk can record this.
I can’t get to my GP surgery to get the medical needs section signed, what can I do?
Where a householder is applying for a support service due to medical needs council require some supporting evidence from a medical professional.
This is not required to be a GP. There are a number of others who can sign the form/ provide a letter of evidence including but not limited to a social worker, community nurse, practice nurse, home health aide, care worker, consultant.
If householders are in doubt about what information will be sufficient on the application form please do not hesitate to contact our Helpdesk on T: 0300 124 5000 (0).
You can also return the form with details of medical need in the NOTE section of A or B and our Helpdesk will follow up with applicants (or those who can be contacted on behalf of) by phone if necessary.
Our team of depot supervisors will also be able to clarify any queries at the time of assessment.
I applied 4 years ago – do I need to reapply?
As the review includes households who have been approved dating back over 10 years within legacy council areas. We appreciate circumstances may have changed for some households.
This review exercise will ensure we manage and maintain the most accurate and up to date householder information regarding specific service needs.
For any queries householders have about completing or returning the form please do not hesitate to contact our Helpdesk on T: 0300 124 5000 (0).
I am not sure what information I need to include in the form. Who can help me?
This review exercise will ensure council manage and maintain the most accurate and up to date householder information regarding specific waste service needs. For any queries householders have about completing or returning the form please do not hesitate to contact our Helpdesk on T: 0300 124 5000 (0).
When forms are returned to and screened by helpdesk – depot supervisors will conduct assessments. Any queries householders have about the process can also be addressed to them.