Household Recycling Centres

Things you CAN and CANNOT recycle

Photograph of paper for recycling

You can recycle these materials at your local Household Recycling Centre

Recycling Guide

Things you CAN recycle 



Books, DVD's, CD's

Collected by charity


Cans, tins, aerosols etc.

Car batteries

Contain acid.  Take care when moving.


Boxes must be empty.

Charity & community reuse

Charity collection point on site.  Speak to staff.

Cooking oil

From domestic use only (5 litres).

Engine oil

From domestic use only (10 litres).

Fluorescent tubes &
energy saving bulbs

Take care when moving.
Hazardous waste information leaflet available on site.

Food waste

Keep separate from general household waste.  Food bins located on-site.  Staff will advise.

Fridges & freezers

Commercial appliance disposal charge £35.

Gas cylinders

Domestic cylinders only.


Mixed glass bottles and jars.

Green waste

Japanese Knotweed should not be brought on site.
Consult Environment Agency.

Hardcore, rubble & ceramics

Home occupier allowed: 3-4 small builders bags, equivalent to one car boot load per month.
Large amounts to be disposed of through a licensed contractor.

Household batteries

All household, button, mobile phone, laptop batteries.

Household waste (non-recyclable)

Ensure all recyclable material is removed.

Ink cartridges

Keep in packaging if possible.

Large electrical appliances

Washing machines, dishwashers etc.


From domestic use only: 3-4 paint tins. Nearly full sealed containers can be deposited in community repaint container.


Newspaper, magazines, books, junk mail, school books etc.


From domestic use only, 1 sheet per month.


Plastic bottles, containers, toys, plant pots etc.
No plastic bags.

Scrap metal

Drink cans, food tins, cooking pots etc.

Small electrical appliances

Hair driers, phones, radios, toasters etc.


Mixed textiles and clothes.

TV's & monitors

Ask for assistance with heavier appliances.

Wood, timber, MDF, chipboard

No glass content.


Small domestic quantities only 5 bags equivalent to a car boot load

Things you CANNOT recycle 

Materials Notes

Commercial Waste

This should be managed by a private contractor.

Industrial Waste (building waste)

This should be managed by a private contractor.

Contact a private contractor for clay disposal.

These can be found online.


Hazardous waste type.

Contact a private, registered contractor for correct disposal.

These can be found online.


Contact a private contractor for tyre disposal.

These can be found online.