Environmental Health is responsible for regulating street trading in the Borough. The Street Trading Act (NI) 2001 places restrictions on where and how people can trade.
Street trading can only take place if the traders have been issued with the appropriate licence from the Council. The three types of licence available and the annual fees for the different licences are:
- Stationary Street Trading Licence
- Mobile Street Trading Licence
- Temporary Street Trading Licence
Before a stationary street trading licence can be issued the council must have decided to designate that particular street for street trading. Please contact us if you have any queries over the designation of streets.
All ice-cream vans/mobile shops operating in the Council area should be in possession of a mobile street trading licence. Temporary street trading licences can be issued to allow trading to take place at a particular location for up to 7 days.
New Street Trading Policy
The Council has reviewed its policy on street trading and from the 1 November 2018 a new policy will come into effect. The policy covers includes:
- new minimum standards and licence terms and conditions for street traders
- clarify the areas traders can trade in and the hours they can trade between
- introduce a policy for when Council can designate new stationary street trading sites
- set a new policy for the allocation and selection of street trading licences
- an enforcement policy for breaching licence terms and conditions
The full policy is available at the bottom of this page as a download.
Street Trading Fees
We set our own street trading fees which took effect from 2 June 2015.
The fees for the various street trading fees are set out below:
- Stationary street trading fee - £240
- Mobile street trading fee - £140
- Temporary street trading fee - £100*
- Variation of licence fee - £45
* a further fee of £15 a day will be charged for each additional day traded after the first
The fees are set to cover the full costs of administering and enforcing the street trading licensing process.
Street Trading Opportunities
Any street trading opportunities at large events and vacant stationary pitches will be advertised on this page
Royal Landings: Street trading pitches
The Royal Landings/Carrickfergus Pageant takes place on Saturday 8 June 2019 and there will be a limited number of pitches available for street trading on this date.
The pitches will be located in the Castle Street and Marine Highway areas of Carrickfergus and will be pre-identified by Council as being suitable for either a stall or a larger trailer.
Council also reserve the right to give consideration to the type of goods offered for sale and successful applicants will be limited to one pitch only
If you wish to apply to trade at the event you should complete the temporary application form below and return it with the fee by 17 May 2019, by post, to:
Environmental Health Department
If more applications are received than there are available pitches, then pitches will be allocated based on random selection.
Queries can be emailed to:
- Application for a stationary street trading licence (pdf 102 KB)
- Application for temporary street trading licence (pdf 264 KB)
- Street Trading Policy (pdf 395 KB)