Local Development Plan 2030
The Local Development Plan is primarily about delivering sustainable development and improving the quality of life and wellbeing of communities in Mid and East Antrim. It sets out a Spatial Growth Strategy underpinned by other strategic policies and proposals as a means of ensuring that development is high quality, meets local needs and is located in the appropriate places convenient to jobs and public services.
The Local Development Plan (LDP) will also balance competing demands ensuring that new development respects our quality landscapes and our precious natural and historic environment, all of which expresses the unique identity of our Borough and underpins our growing tourism sector. Through guiding future development and use of land in our towns, villages and rural areas, the Local Development Plan will provide certainty as, under the new Plan-led system, it will be the first thing to be taken into account by Council when taking planning decisions. The Local Development Plan is a powerful tool for place-shaping and will assist in the delivery of our Community Plan ‘Putting People First’.
Copies of the draft Plan Strategy and supporting documents are available to view and download at Local Development Plan 2030 draft Plan Strategy.
What Happens Now
1 March 2023 Update
Following the independent examination of the Council’s draft Plan Strategy, which took place between May and August 2022, the Commissioners’ report has now been forwarded to the Department for Infrastructure.
Release of that report is solely a matter for the Department.
The Council will now await the Direction as to whether the plan should be adopted with or without modifications, or withdrawn.
For further information regarding the Independent Examination procedures and the Commissioner’s Report, please refer to the PAC published Guidance entitled, ‘Procedures for Independent Examination of Local Development Plans’ which is available to view on the Planning Appeals Commission’s websites Procedural Guides page.
Further updates on the progress of the Council’s Local Development Plan will be provided on the Council’s website. Alternatively, should you wish to kept informed of the remaining stages of the plan process, please fill out this community involvement form and return to the LDP Team at: Silverwood Business Park, 190 Raceview Road, Ballymena, BT42 4HZ.
Draft Plan Strategy Stages
Stage 1: Programme Management – Timetable
1st Revision: 26 June 2017
2nd Revision: 8 April 2019
3rd Revision: 14 December 2020
Stage 1: Preferred Options
The Preferred Options Paper was published 14 June 2017 for formal consultation for a period of 12 weeks ending on 6 September 2017.The Preferred Options Paper Consultation Report was published in November 2017.
Stage 2: Draft Plan StrategyThe draft Plan Strategy was published on 17 September 2019 and formal public consultation took place for a period of eight weeks from 16 October to 11 December 2019.
Stage 2: Representations to the Draft Plan StrategyRepresentations submitted in response to the public consultation on the draft Plan Strategy and Sustainability Appraisal were subject to eight weeks public consultation for counter representation from 31 January to 27 March 2020.
Stage 2: Counter RepresentationsThe period of public consultation for counter representations ran from 31 January to 27 March 2020 and was an opportunity for interested parties to comment on a site specific policy representation received during the public consultation on the draft Plan Strategy (16 October to 11 December 2019).
Stage 2: Schedule of Proposed Modifications
The Schedule of Proposed Modifications was prepared following consideration of the representations and counter representations. It was published on 5 January 2021 and was subject to an eight-week public consultation from 8 January 2021 to 5 March 2021. You can also view the comments on the Schedule of Proposed Modifications.The Schedule of Proposed Modifications was accompanied by Addendums to the draft Sustainability Appraisal, the draft Habitats Regulations Assessment, the draft Rural Needs Impact Assessment and the draft Equality (Section 75) Screening Report. These documents are available to view on our draft Plan Strategy and supporting documents page.
Stage 2: Submission of documents to the Department of InfrastructureIn accordance with Regulation 20 of the Planning (Local Development Plan) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2015, we submitted the draft Plan Strategy and supporting documents to the Department for Infrastructure on 29 March 2021.
Stage 2: Independent Examination of draft Plan Strategy.
The Planning Appeals Commission (PAC) have now completed the Independent Examination of the Council’s draft Plan Strategy which took place between 3 May and 29 June 2022.
These documents can be made available in different formats upon request. If you would like a document in another format, please contact the LDP Team at email@example.com or on T: 028 2563 3500. If for any reason a particular alternative format cannot be met, other possible solutions may be required.
Should you require any additional information on the LDP, please do not hesitate to contact the LDP team on T: 028 2563 3500.
Representations to the Draft Plan Strategy
In accordance with Regulation 17 of the Planning (Local Development Plan) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2015, we published the representations received during the statutory public consultation period for the Mid and East Antrim Local Development Plan 2030 draft Plan Strategy.
Advert: Publication of Representations to draft Plan Strategy and Invitation to Submit Counter Representations
|Reference||Respondent||On behalf of|
|MEA-DPS-001||Antrim and Newtownabbey Borough Council|
|MEA-DPS-002||Belfast City Council|
|MEA-DPS-003||Causeway Coast and Glens Borough Council|
|MEA-DPS-004||Causeway Coast and Glens Heritage Trust|
|MEA-DPS-005||Co-Ownership Housing Association Limited|
|MEA-DPS-006||DAERA-Natural Environment Division|
|MEA-DPS-012||Donaldson Planning||Ballymena Development Consortium|
|MEA-DPS-015||Farrans Construction Ltd|
|MEA-DPS-018||Jobling Planning and Environment Ltd||Individual|
|MEA-DPS-019||Jobling Planning and Environment Ltd||Individual|
|MEA-DPS-020||Jobling Planning and Environment Ltd||Individual|
|MEA-DPS-021||Glenarm Visitor Information Centre|
|MEA-DPS-022||GM Design Associates Ltd||Individual|
|MEA-DPS-023||Gravis Planning||Conway Estates Ltd|
|MEA-DPS-024||Gravis Planning||Conway Estates Ltd and Individual|
|MEA-DPS-030||Gravis Planning||Don Rimes Pension Fund|
|MEA-DPS-032||Inaltus||Alexander Property Holdings|
|MEA-DPS-033||Inaltus||Bridge Park Development Ltd|
|MEA-DPS-037||Inaltus||N.K. Holdings Ltd|
|MEA-DPS-039||Irish Salt Mining & Exploration Co. Ltd|
|MEA-DPS-040||James Stevenson Quarries Ltd|
|MEA-DPS-043||MBA Planning||CYM Properties|
|MEA-DPS-045||Mid Ulster District Council|
|MEA-DPS-046||Ministerial Advisory Group|
|MEA-DPS-049||Northern Ireland Housing Executive|
|MEA-DPS-050||Northern Ireland Renewables Industry Group|
|MEA-DPS-051||Northern Ireland Water|
|MEA-DPS-052||Northern Health and Social Care Trust|
|MEA-DPS-053||O'Connor Kennedy Turtle||Individual|
|MEA-DPS-054||O'Connor Kennedy Turtle||Individual|
|MEA-DPS-055||Pragma Planning||Carnlough Dev Ltd|
|MEA-DPS-059||Scottish Power Renewables|
|MEA-DPS-062||TC Town Planning||Individual|
|MEA-DPS-066||TSA Planning||Lotus Homes|
|MEA-DPS-067||TSA Planning||Rosemount Homes|
|MEA-DPS-068||TSA Planning||Silverwood Business Park Ltd|
|MEA-DPS-069||Turley||ABO Wind (NI) Ltd|
|MEA-DPS-070||Turley||Antrim Construction Company|
|MEA-DPS-071||Turley||Clanmill Housing Group|
|MEA-DPS-075||Turley||Northern Ireland Federation of Housing Association|
|MEA-DPS-078||Wardell Armstrong LLP||The Crown Estate|
|MEA-DPS-079||White Young Green||Individual|
|MEA-DPS-080||DAERA-Natural Environment Division - SEA Team|
In accordance with Regulation 19 of The Planning (Local Development Plan) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2015, the counter representations received are available for inspection.
Advert: draft Plan Strategy Publication of Counter Representations to the draft Plan Strategy
Name of Respondent
Submitted on Behalf of
Francis Dinsmore Ltd
Don Rimes Pension Fund
Conway Estates Limited
Conway Estates Limited, Backus Brothers & Individuals
ABO Wind NI Ltd
Draft Plan Strategy:
- Draft Plan Strategy
- Draft Plan Strategy District Proposals Map 1
- Draft Plan Strategy District Proposals Map 2
- Draft Plan Strategy District Proposals Map 3
- Mid & East Antrim Local Development Plan map viewer
- Draft Equality (Section 75) Screening Report of the Draft Plan Strategy (PDF 2MB)
- Rural Needs Impact Assessment of the Draft Plan Strategy
- Sustainability Appraisal of the Draft Plan Strategy (incorporating Strategic Environmental Assessment) Sustainability Appraisal Report (PDF 5MB)
- Sustainability Appraisal of the Draft Plan Strategy Scoping Report (PDF 6MB)
- Sustainability Appraisal of the Draft Plan Strategy (incorporating Strategic Environmental Assessment) Non-technical Summary Sustainability Appraisal of the Draft Plan Strategy (incorporating Strategic Environmental Assessment) Scoping Report (PDF 625KB)
- Draft Habitats Regulations Assessment Report of the Draft Plan Strategy (PDF 3MB)
Accompanying Assessments & Technical Supplements
The Technical Supplements and the following Accompanying Assessments will be available to view and download from the 16 October 2019 for the commencement of the 8-week public consultation.
- Technical Supplement 1 - Monitoring & Review (PDF 933 KB)
- Technical Supplement 2 - Settlement Hierarchy & Strategic Settlement Evaluation (PDF 1 MB)
- Technical Supplement 3 - Housing (PDF 2 MB)
- Technical Supplement 3 - Appendix I - Urban Capacity Study (PDF 3 MB)
- Technical Supplement 4 - Open space, sport and leisure (PDF 3 MB)
- Technical Supplement 5 - Economic Development (PDF 1 MB)
- Technical Supplement 5 - Appendix B - Industrial Economic Land Monitor Report 2018 (PDF 4 MB)
- Technical Supplement 5 - Appendix C - CBRE Availability Supply Report 2018 (PDF 3 MB)
- Technical Supplement 5 - Appendix D - UUEPC Employment Space Demand Report 2018 (PDF 682 KB)
- Technical Supplement 6 - Retailling and Town Centres (PDF 6 MB)
- Technical Supplement 6 - Appendix C - Retail Hierarchy (PDF 180 KB)
- Technical Supplement 6 - Appendix D - Retail & Commercial Leisure Need & Capacity Study January 2019 (PDF 2 MB)
- Technical Supplement 7 - Tourism (PDF 2 MB)
- Technical Supplement 8 - Minerals Development (PDF 4 MB)
- Technical Supplement 9 - Transportation (PDF 2 MB)
- Technical Supplement 9 - Appendix A - draft Mid and East Antrim Local Transport Study (PDF 10 MB)
- Technical Supplement 10 - Countryside Assessment (PDF 3 MB)
- Technical Supplement 10 - Appendix A - Landscape Character Assessment (PDF 11MB)
- Technical Supplement 10 - Appendix B - Development Pressure Analysis (PDF 2 MB)
- Technical Supplement 10 - Appendix C - Candidate Sensitive Landscape Scoring Matrix (PDF 657KB)
- Technical Supplement 10 - Appendix D - Candidate Sensitive Landscape Scoring Matrix Justification (PDF 3MB)
- Technical Supplement 10 - Appendix E - Candidate Sensitive Landscape Report
- Technical Supplement 10 - Appendix G - Maps
- Technical Supplement 11 - Health, Education, Community and Cultural Facilities (PDF 1 MB)
- Technical Supplement 12 - Public Utilities (PDF 3 MB)
- Technical Supplement 13 - Built Environment and Creating Places (PDF 6 MB)
Should you wish to be kept informed of the remaining stages of our plan process, please fill out this community involvement form and return to us at Silverwood Business Park, 190 Raceview Road, Ballymena, BT42 4HZ.
General Data Protection Regulation
We comply with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and have produced a specific Local Development Plan Privacy Notice, which lets you know how we manage any personal information we receive from you. It contains the standards you can expect when we ask for, or hold, your personal information and an explanation of our information management security policy.
A copy of our Local Development Plan Privacy Notice is available.