Buying a puppy
Deciding whether to get a puppy or dog is a big decision. It is advisable, before purchasing a puppy, to give it proper thought and to carry out some research.
Anyone who decides to get a dog becomes responsible for that animal and will need to know about the legal requirements of owning a dog.
The Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA) have created a very useful leaflet and information on buying and caring for a puppy.
They set out various decisions that should be made and provide information on:
- the importance of research, before deciding to buy a puppy/dog
- finding the right dog breed
- deciding where to get your new puppy/dog
- finding a healthy, happy dog
- collecting your new dog and bringing it home
- helping your new dog settle-in to its new home
- understanding dog behaviour
It goes on to note your legal obligations as an owner which include aspects such as:
- licensing the dog
- keeping the dog under proper control
- meeting the welfare needs of the dog
- Dogs die in hot cars (Advice Leaflet) (pdf 502 KB)