Buying a puppy
Deciding whether to get a puppy or dog is a big decision. It is advisable, before purchasing a puppy, to give it proper thought and to carry out some research.
Anyone who decides to get a dog becomes responsible for that animal and will need to know about the legal requirements of owning a dog.
The Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA) have created a very useful leaflet and information on buying and caring for a puppy.
They set out various decisions that should be made and provide information on:
- the importance of research, before deciding to buy a puppy/dog
- finding the right dog breed
- deciding where to get your new puppy/dog
- finding a healthy, happy dog
- collecting your new dog and bringing it home
- helping your new dog settle-in to its new home
- understanding dog behaviour
It goes on to note your legal obligations as an owner which include aspects such as:
- licensing the dog
- keeping the dog under proper control
- meeting the welfare needs of the dog
Paws for Thought
If you are thinking about getting a dog, #PawsforThought and give it some proper consideration.
Things to consider:
- Do you really know where your dog is coming from? Can you be sure that the dog isn’t from an illegal breeder or been stolen?
- If you decide to get a dog, consider rehoming an unwanted dog first.
- If you decide to buy a puppy, make sure to buy it from a reputable /licensed breeder who has made sure the puppy has had a good start in life.
- Once you have made the decision to buy a puppy, only buy one aged 8 weeks or more and make sure to see the puppy with its mother at its home.
- Never buy a dog or a pup that is delivered to you.
- Dogs must be microchipped at 8 weeks old, and dog owners are responsible for contacting the local council and licensing their dog.
- Dog owners are responsible for keeping the dog under proper control, and for meeting the welfare needs of their dog.
For more info on OPERATION PAWS FOR THOUGHT, click here.
- Dogs die in hot cars (Advice Leaflet) (pdf 502 KB)