Mid and East Antrim Gyms Terms & Conditons and Etiquette for use
Mid and East Antrim Gyms can be used by those aged 12 years or over.
Health Commitment Statement (pre induction)
Before using a gym, users MUST read and sign (or tick online) the Health Commitment Statement to confirm they understand it and agree to abide by it.
In the case of a Teen User the parent/guardian must sign to confirm the above.
Your health is your responsibility.
The management and staff of the centres are dedicated to helping you take every opportunity to enjoy the facilities that we offer.
Changes to your health – should your health change you must inform a gym staff member as your programme may need to be altered.
Every new gym member or casual gym user must undergo the initial induction training to ensure they are aware of how to use the facilities and equipment on offer.
This includes but is not limited to all cardiovascular equipment including treadmills and resistance equipment including free/loose weights.
It is the gym users responsibility to ensure they have had their Fast Track induction before using equipment or to book a full induction with a member of staff before using the equipment.
Teen Users (12 to 15 year olds)
No young person 12 to 15 years is permitted to use any of the plate resistance machines or free weights stations including Squat racks within the gym.
All Teen-friendly equipment includes the following
- Indoor Cycle
- Crosstrainer/Arc Trainer
- Rower M/C
- Ski Erg
- Leg Press
- Leg Extension
- Seated Leg Curl
- Peck Deck
- Chest Press
- Shoulder Press – Pin
- Lat Pulldown – Pin
- Seated Row – Pin
- Resistance bands
Gym based circuits involving rig can be provided as part of the induction. Please ask a member of gym staff for more details.
Teen-friendly resistance is based on high reps low weights
All Teen gym equipment will be clearly labelled.
Teen Users can use the gym at any time during opening hours when accompanied by an adult (18 years or over), who is also a fitness member. The adult is responsible for the Teen User during this time.
Teen Users who cannot be accompanied by an adult can only use the gym during Teen-Friendly Gym sessions.
Adult members are also permitted to train during the Teen-Friendly Gym sessions.
Staff have the right to challenge a young person who they suspect may be too young to be using the equipment.
Teen Users 16 and over
Any teen users who turn 16 and wish to progress to free weights must receive a separate ‘free weights’ induction.
Fast Track inductions are not available to under-18s.
Dress appropriately for your gym activity and always wear suitable footwear.
Lockers are provided for your personal belongings as no kit/ training bags are allowed in the gym.
- Occasionally staff may check your membership status during your gym session.
- Gym use is not permitted whilst under the influence of alcohol or drugs that may affect your ability to exercise safely. Smoking and e-cigarettes are strictly prohibited.
- If you require health and fitness advice, our gym staff can provide appropriate assistance and guidance.
- Be mindful that Personal Training is not permitted in MEA gyms. No spectators are allowed in the gym unless part of the Buddy system.
Whilst using our gym
- Any drinks taken into the gym must be in plastic bottles.
- If there’s gym equipment you’re not familiar with, speak to a member of staff for guidance prior to exercise. For health and safety reasons and to protect the equipment, avoid dropping equipment eg. dumbbells on the floor.
- When using Plates, always ensure collars secure the weight. After using free weights, break them down and replace them in their holders or back on the rack. Never leave loose plates or bars on the floor and unrack evenly to prevent bars falling.
- Use spotters when needed in the free weights area.
- Be aware that other users may be waiting to use free weights or equipment. At busy times, limit your time on cardiovascular machines to 20 minutes.
- If you feel unwell at any time, inform a member of staff immediately. In an emergency, please notify a member staff present or press the emergency alarms within the gym.
Before leaving our gym
- After using equipment don’t forget to wipe down machines with disinfectant spray and paper towels provided. Remember to report any faulty equipment.
- You are responsible for your own personal belongings – always leave with the items you brought.
- Our gym is cleaned daily by staff plus periodically throughout each day. Our equipment is regularly serviced - we take great pride in our gym and the equipment in it. We’d like our members to demonstrate the same pride and help us maintain high standards of safety and hygiene.
- Respect for staff and other gym users makes for a positive environment.
We take great pride in our Fitness suite and the equipment in it. We encourage members to take pride in the Fitness facility as well by helping to maintain high standards of safety and hygiene.
Fitness Class Admissions and Etiquette
Only those 16 years old or over are permitted to take part in exercise classes unless otherwise stated.
Arrive at least 5 minutes early. If you are late and miss the warmup, you may not be able to take part in the class for Health and Safety reasons.
Entry to a class once a warmup has commenced is at the discretion of the class instructor, as failing to warm up adequately can lead to serious injury. No refunds can be issued for customers unable to access classes due to late arrival.
Customers are expected to dress appropriately for the activity they are taking part in, and are responsible for their personal belongings.
Talking during the class should be kept to a minimum.
If you feel unwell at any time inform the instructor immediately
Class programmes are reviewed on a regular basis. Sessions that are poorly attended may be subject to change or removal from the programme, with new sessions being introduced.
Please note that flashing, coloured lights may be in operation during some classes.
When using equipment as part of a class please be aware of any equipment placed on the floor beside you when doing other exercises.
Cancellations of Class and Strike Policy – Amphitheatre Only
Cancelling a Class
6 Hours Notice must be giving to cancel a class. Failure to cancel a class within this time frame will result in a strike.
What happened if I miss a class (No Show)
Failure to show to a class or check in via the Wall QR Codes or Reception will result in a strike.
Three Strikes within a 30 day period will result in a 7 day booking suspension.
Remember it is always worthwhile to join the waiting list even if you see high numbers. As soon as a place becomes available everyone on the list will receive a notification via email. Please cancel your place on the waiting list for any classes you are not going to book.
Changing rooms are cleaned daily and housekeeping checks carried out throughout the day. If this area is not satisfactory please inform a member of our staff.
Lockers are provided, £1 returnable coin required.
Taking photographs and video clips during classes, is not permitted.
Mid and East Antrim Council is a member of the Leisure Watch scheme.
Photography/image recording is not permitted in changing room areas, toilets, showers, swimming pool and health suite areas.
In other areas casual photography/image recordings of family and friends, where all parties are known to each other is allowed with the written permission.
Any other form of photography/image recording is only allowed with the written authorisation of the Centre Management.