Andrew Jackson Cottage and US Rangers Centre
The Andrew Jackson Cottage highlights Carrickfergus' strong American and Ulster-Scots connections as well as telling the story of Andrew Jackson, the 7th President of the USA, whose parents emigrated to America from Carrickfergus in 1765.
Located less than a mile from the town centre off the Larne Road, this single storey building has been restored to its original state. The interior has been decorated with a dresser, sponge wear crockery, iron pots and griddles. The cottage also has a collection of Ulster patchwork quilts.
US Rangers Centre, Carrickfergus
Beside the Andrew Jackson Cottage is an exhibition centre dedicated to the US Rangers, the elite American army regiment formed at Sunnylands Camp in Carrickfergus in June 1942.
This ‘Commando style’ unit was made up solely of volunteers Nicknamed ‘Darby’s Rangers’ after their dynamic leader Lieutenant Colonel William Darby, they trained in extreme conditions and fought in some of the deadliest battles in Europe to become one of WWII’s most courageous and decorated units. It remains the only US military unit ever founded on foreign soil.
The collection contains uniforms, photographs, documents and other material relating to this famed combat unit.
The original museum was first opened in 1994, following a 50th anniversary event when visiting US Ranger veterans generously gave their photographs and memorabilia to create a permanent exhibition.
Today the museum contains visually striking displays, never seen before artefacts and photographs, as well as compelling film footage. The museum aims to be a fitting tribute to the men who volunteered their services to the elite fighting force the US Rangers, in Carrickfergus and beyond.
For further details please contact Carrickfergus Museum on T: 028 9335 8241 or Email: email@example.com
Andrew Jackson Cottage Opening Times
Wednesday to Sunday: 11am to 3pm
The cottage can be opened at other times by prior arrangement.
*Please note that days and times are subject to change, it is advisable to check with the Visitor Information Centre on T: 028 9335 8241.
2 Boneybefore, Carrickfergus, BT38 7EQ
- Guided tours
- Exhibition gallery
- Special events / workshops
- Free Car parking
- Free admission
- Free tea/coffee
- DDA compliant Toilets