Allotment gardening can provide a number of benefits to individuals, such as the opportunity to produce a wide range of relatively inexpensive healthy vegetables, whilst at the same time providing physical exercise in the outdoors. It can create the opportunity to make new friends and provide the chance to socialise with others who enjoy a similar rewarding pastime.
* For Carrickfergus and Greenisland Allotment Purchases for 2018/19 - if you wish to pay for your allotment by cash, payments should be made through our reception at Carrickfergus Museum and Civic Centre or Larne Smiley Buildings until further notice.
Allotments can provide a great sense of well-being and give pleasure and satisfaction to people who through their own skills and effort produce their own food and of course in addition allotments are also beneficial to the environment and wildlife generally. We are committed to improving the quality of life for all the people of Borough through the services it provides including our allotment service.
Why have an allotment?
- The benefits to having your own allotment:
- Pleasure of seeing what you sow grow to maturity
- Exercise and a healthier lifestyle
- Fresh air, peace and quiet
- Opportunity to meet new friends
- Eat your own fresh and organic produce
We have three allotment sites at Carrickfergus (Beltoy Road), Greenisland (Knockleigh Drive) and Larne (Town Park).
Please Note: There is limited availability at some of our allotment sites with some sites fully allocated but we will add you to our waiting list if you complete the Online Application Form. Allotments are only available to Mid and East Antrim Borough residents.
How much will it cost?
Allotment plots come in a variety of sizes to suit all requirements. Rental costs for an allotment are very modest and based on the size of the plot. An average plot works out at less than £1 a week. Concessions are available, see below for details. The tenancy year starts on 1st April and ends on 31st March each year.
The prices up to March 2017 are:
- Full size plots: (155sqm and over) £75 per year at all sites.
- Smaller plots: (under 155sqm) £50 per year at all sites.
A £10 consession rate can apply to those:
- 60 years of age or over
- in receipt of Universal Credit (income support / unemployment benefit)
- persons with a disability and carers who enable that person to avail of a service
- students in full time education
The concession rate is only applicable to ‘smaller plots’ i.e. those under 155sqm. To receive the concession rate the relevant paperwork must be supplied. A concession cannot be claimed retrospectively.
PLEASE NOTE: Allotments are only available to Mid and East Antrim Borough residents. Before completing the online application form please read the Tenancy Agreement.
To apply for an allotment please complete the form below: