Births, Deaths, Marriages and Civil Partnerships

Civil Partnerships

Photograph of two people at a wedding

A civil partnership is a relationship between two people which is formed when they register as civil partners of one another.

Civil partnership notice form

Convert Civil Partnership or Marriage:

From 7 December 2020 to 6 December 2023, couples in a civil partnership or marriage will be able to change their civil partnership to a marriage or marriage into a civil partnership. 

For further information visit the NIDirect government services website.

Two people can register, provided:

  • neither of them is already a civil partner or is legally married
  • they are 18 or above on the day of the ceremony (consent must be obtained for those aged between 16 and 18)
  • they are not related to one another in a way that would prevent them from having a civil partnership.

Civil partnership ceremonies can take place in the Registration office, in an approved venue or in a venue of your choice (subject to approval and the availability of the Registration office).

Civil Partnership Notice Forms

These forms, which give formal ‘notice’ to the Registration staff of your intent to form a partnership, must be completed by you and your partner.

They are valid for 12 months from the date of notice.

This means you must tell us about your plans in the 12 month period before your ceremony date, and no later than 28 days before your ceremony.

If either of you have been married before or are subject to immigration control, forms should be submitted 10 weeks before.

Notice forms should be returned to the Registration office of the district in which you intend to register your partnership, along with the relevant documents (listed below) and fees.

Civil partnership notice form

Documents you will need

When returning your Civil Partnership notice forms, both of you must provide the following documents:-

  • your full birth certificate  (authorised photocopies are not acceptable).
  • your passport
  • a consent form (if you aged 16 or 17)- these are available from the Registrar or can be downloaded below (available soon)
  • If you have been married before and the marriage was dissolved, a certificate of divorce or annulment or a certified copy decree (decrees must be absolute or final).
  • If you have been married more than once, only the documents for your most recent marriage are required.
  • if you have entered into a civil partnership before, a court order of dissolution for that partnership
  • if you are a widow, widower or surviving civil partner, the death certificate of your former spouse or civil partner,

All documents supplied are photocopied and returned immediately to you.

Venues are the same as Civil Marriages. 

If your civil partnership is in an Approved Venue, eg Hotel, then the Approval Holder and yourselves need to complete form CP/AP1(a).

This proves that the Approved Venue permits the ceremony in their premises.

You should make advance arrangements with the Registrar before paying deposits at venues etc.  

This is particularly important during busy times of the year.

Ceremony times

Weekday ceremonies take place between the following times: between 10 am and 4.30 pm

Saturday ceremonies usually take place between the following times: between 10 am and 3.00 pm

Bank Holiday ceremonies usually take place between 10am and 1pm.


If you change your plans or decide to postpone your ceremony, you must notify the relevant Registration office as soon as possible.

A £20 administration charge will be deducted from any monies being refunded.