Local Development Plan 2030
The Local Development Plan is primarily about delivering sustainable development and improving the quality of life and wellbeing of communities in Mid and East Antrim. It sets out a Spatial Growth Strategy underpinned by other strategic policies and proposals as a means of ensuring that development is high quality, meets local needs and is located in the appropriate places convenient to jobs and public services.
The Local Development Plan (LDP) will also balance competing demands ensuring that new development respects our quality landscapes and our precious natural and historic environment, all of which expresses the unique identity of our Borough and underpins our growing tourism sector. Through guiding future development and use of land in our towns, villages and rural areas, the Local Development Plan will provide certainty as, under the new Plan-led system, it will be the first thing to be taken into account by Council when taking planning decisions. The Local Development Plan is a powerful tool for place-shaping and will assist in the delivery of our Community Plan ‘Putting People First’.
Copies of the draft Plan Strategy and supporting documents are available to view and download below:
Draft Plan Strategy
The draft Plan Strategy was published for formal public consultation for a period of eight weeks from 16 October to 11 December 2019.
The representations submitted in response to the public consultation on the draft Plan Strategy and Sustainability Appraisal were subject to eight weeks consultation from 31 January to 27 March 2020.
The Government lockdown in respect to Covid-19 was announced on 23 March taking effect from 24 March. As stated in the public notices and on the Council website, all representations were available for inspection online, with counter-representations then to be submitted online, posted or emailed. As there was no requirement to physically attend Council premises to submit a counter-representation, a decision was taken not to postpone or cancel the counter-representation consultation period as a result of the lockdown.
What Happens Now
Local Development Plan (LDP) 2030 draft Plan Strategy – Proposed Modifications Consultation
We are now carrying out a consultation on proposed modifications to the LDP draft Plan Strategy.
Following detailed consideration of all representations received during the public consultations on the LDP draft Plan Strategy, Council is now proposing a number of proposed modifications. In the preparing of such, account has been taken of the Department for Infrastructure’s Development Plan Practice Note 10 – Submitting Development Plan Documents for Independent Examination (December 2019).
The proposed modifications to the draft Plan Strategy will be subject to an 8-week public consultation from Friday 8 January 2021 to Friday 5 March 2021. The Schedule of Proposed Modifications is available to view below:
The Schedule of Proposed Modifications is accompanied by Addendums to the draft Sustainability Appraisal, the draft Habitats Regulations Assessment, the draft Rural Needs Impact Assessment and the draft Equality (Section 75) Screening Report. These documents are available to view via the links below:
- Addendum to draft Sustainability Appraisal
- Addendum to draft Habitats Regulations Assessment
- Addendum to draft Rural Needs Impact Assessment
- Addendum to draft Equality (Section 75) Screening Report
These documents can also be viewed during normal office hours (by appointment only) at the Council Planning Office, Silverwood Business Park, 190 Raceview Road, Ballymena, BT42 4HZ. Please telephone 028 2563 3500 to make an appointment.
Comments on the proposed modifications and/or the Addendums should be made in writing using the Proposed Modifications Consultation Response Form/Draft Plan Strategy Addendum Response Form which can be downloaded via the links below and submitted either by email to email@example.com or by post to the LDP team at the above address. Hard copies of the response form can also be made available on request.
The deadline for comments is 5pm on Friday 5 March 2021. Comments received after this deadline will not be accepted. Comments should only address and relate to the ‘soundness’ of the proposed modifications. This consultation is not an opportunity to add to previous representations or to make new comments on parts of the original draft Plan Strategy not subject to change. Further information on ‘soundness’ and the soundness tests can be found in the Department for Infrastructure’s Development Plan Practice Note 06 – Soundness (May 2017).
Please ensure to include your full contact details on any correspondence including name, postal address, telephone number and email address. This is to ensure that the Independent Examiner can contact you as part of the Independent Examination process to, if necessary, clarify the responses you have made, or to invite you to participate in the Examination. Your details will also be added to the Council’s LDP Community Involvement Register so we can update you on the progress of the LDP.
It should be noted that comments received cannot be treated as confidential. All comments will be made available for public inspection and placed on the Council’s website. A copy of will also be supplied to the Department for Infrastructure and the Planning Appeals Commission as part of the Independent Examination process. Further details are available in our LDP Privacy Notice.
These documents can be made available in different formats upon request. If you would like a document in another format, please contact the LDP Team us at firstname.lastname@example.org or on T: 028 2563 3500. If for any reason a particular alternative format cannot be met, other possible solutions may be required.
As soon as reasonably practicable after the expiry date of the consultation period, the Council will submit the draft Plan Strategy and all associated documents to the Department for Infrastructure for Independent Examination. All documents submitted to the Department, including those comments received on the proposed modifications, will also be made available for inspection.
Should you require any additional information on the LDP, please do not hesitate to contact the LDP team on T: 028 2563 3500.
Draft Plan Strategy Counter Representations
In accordance with Regulation 19 of The Planning (Local Development Plan) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2015, the Council is now making counter representations received available for inspection.
The period of public consultation for counter representations (31 January - 27 March 2020) was an opportunity for interested parties to comment on a site specific policy representation received during the public consultation on the draft Plan Strategy (16 October – 11 December 2019).
Counter representations can be viewed below and during normal office hours (by appointment only) at:
Council Planning Office
Silverwood Business Park
190 Raceview Road
To make an appointment please T: 028 2563 3500.
Please note counter representations are published for inspection only. There is no opportunity to make any further representations at this stage.
Counter Representation Reference Number
Name of Respondent
Submitted on Behalf of
Francis Dinsmore Ltd
Don Rimes Pension Fund
Conway Estates Limited
Conway Estates Limited, Backus Brothers & Individuals
ABO Wind NI Ltd
Representations to the draft Plan Strategy
|Reference||Respondent||On behalf of|
|MEA-DPS-001||Antrim and Newtownabbey Borough Council|
|MEA-DPS-002||Belfast City Council|
|MEA-DPS-003||Causeway Coast and Glens Borough Council|
|MEA-DPS-004||Causeway Coast and Glens Heritage Trust|
|MEA-DPS-005||Co-Ownership Housing Association Limited|
|MEA-DPS-006||DAERA-Natural Environment Division|
|MEA-DPS-012||Donaldson Planning||Ballymena Development Consortium|
|MEA-DPS-015||Farrans Construction Ltd|
|MEA-DPS-018||Jobling Planning and Environment Ltd||Individual|
|MEA-DPS-019||Jobling Planning and Environment Ltd||Individual|
|MEA-DPS-020||Jobling Planning and Environment Ltd||Individual|
|MEA-DPS-021||Glenarm Visitor Information Centre|
|MEA-DPS-022||GM Design Associates Ltd||Individual|
|MEA-DPS-023||Gravis Planning||Conway Estates Ltd|
|MEA-DPS-024||Gravis Planning||Conway Estates Ltd and Individual|
|MEA-DPS-030||Gravis Planning||Don Rimes Pension Fund|
|MEA-DPS-032||Inaltus||Alexander Property Holdings|
|MEA-DPS-033||Inaltus||Bridge Park Development Ltd|
|MEA-DPS-037||Inaltus||N.K. Holdings Ltd|
|MEA-DPS-039||Irish Salt Mining & Exploration Co. Ltd|
|MEA-DPS-040||James Stevenson Quarries Ltd|
|MEA-DPS-043||MBA Planning||CYM Properties|
|MEA-DPS-045||Mid Ulster District Council|
|MEA-DPS-046||Ministerial Advisory Group|
|MEA-DPS-049||Northern Ireland Housing Executive|
|MEA-DPS-050||Northern Ireland Renewables Industry Group|
|MEA-DPS-051||Northern Ireland Water|
|MEA-DPS-052||Northern Health and Social Care Trust|
|MEA-DPS-053||O'Connor Kennedy Turtle||Individual|
|MEA-DPS-054||O'Connor Kennedy Turtle||Individual|
|MEA-DPS-055||Pragma Planning||Carnlough Dev Ltd|
|MEA-DPS-059||Scottish Power Renewables|
|MEA-DPS-062||TC Town Planning||Individual|
|MEA-DPS-066||TSA Planning||Lotus Homes|
|MEA-DPS-067||TSA Planning||Rosemount Homes|
|MEA-DPS-068||TSA Planning||Silverwood Business Park Ltd|
|MEA-DPS-069||Turley||ABO Wind (NI) Ltd|
|MEA-DPS-070||Turley||Antrim Construction Company|
|MEA-DPS-071||Turley||Clanmill Housing Group|
|MEA-DPS-075||Turley||Northern Ireland Federation of Housing Association|
|MEA-DPS-078||Wardell Armstrong LLP||The Crown Estate|
|MEA-DPS-079||White Young Green||Individual|
|MEA-DPS-080||DAERA-Natural Environment Division - SEA Team|
What Happens Next
Once the 8 week period for the submission of counter representations has closed we will collate and analyse all representations and counter representations received during the respective consultation periods.
Once Council is satisfied that the draft Plan Strategy is ready for Independent Examination, all relevant documents, including representations and counter representations and our consideration of these will be forwarded to the Department of Infrastructure.
Should you wish to be kept informed of the remaining stages of our plan process, please fill out this community involvement form and return to us.
General Data Protection Regulation
We comply with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and have produced a specific Local Development Plan Privacy Notice, which lets you know how we manage any personal information we receive from you. It contains the standards you can expect when we ask for, or hold, your personal information and an explanation of our information management security policy.
A copy of our Local Development Plan Privacy Notice is available here. All representations received will be published on our website and made available at our Local Planning Office, County Hall, 182 Galgorm Road, Ballymena, for public inspection.
All representations will be forwarded to the Department of Infrastructure in advance of Independent Examination.
Draft Plan Strategy:
- Draft Plan Strategy document
- Draft Plan Strategy District Proposals Map 1
- Draft Plan Strategy District Proposals Map 2
- Draft Plan Strategy District Proposals Map 3
- Our online map viewer can be accessed on our ArcGIS page
- Download the Draft Equality (Section 75) Screening Report of the Draft Plan Strategy (PDF 2MB)
- Download the Rural Needs Impact Assessment of the Draft Plan Strategy
- Sustainability Appraisal of the Draft Plan Strategy (incorporating Strategic Environmental Assessment) Sustainability Appraisal Report (PDF 5MB)
- Sustainability Appraisal of the Draft Plan Strategy Scoping Report (PDF 6MB)
- Sustainability Appraisal of the Draft Plan Strategy (incorporating Strategic Environmental Assessment) Non-technical Summary Sustainability Appraisal of the Draft Plan Strategy (incorporating Strategic Environmental Assessment) Scoping Report (PDF 625KB)
- Draft Habitats Regulations Assessment Report of the Draft Plan Strategy (PDF 3MB)
Accompanying Assessments & Technical Supplements
The Technical Supplements and the following Accompanying Assessments will be available to view and download from the 16 October 2019 for the commencement of the 8-week public consultation.
- Technical Supplement 1 - Monitoring & Review (PDF 933 KB)
- Technical Supplement 2 - Settlement Hierarchy & Strategic Settlement Evaluation (PDF 1 MB)
- Technical Supplement 3 - Housing (PDF 2 MB)
- Technical Supplement 3 - Appendix I - Urban Capacity Study (PDF 3 MB)
- Technical Supplement 4 - Open space, sport and leisure (PDF 3 MB)
- Technical Supplement 5 - Economic Development (PDF 1 MB)
- Technical Supplement 5 - Appendix B - Industrial Economic Land Monitor Report 2018 (PDF 4 MB)
- Technical Supplement 5 - Appendix C - CBRE Availability Supply Report 2018 (PDF 3 MB)
- Technical Supplement 5 - Appendix D - UUEPC Employment Space Demand Report 2018 (PDF 682 KB)
- Technical Supplement 6 - Retail (PDF 6 MB)
- Technical Supplement 6 - Appendix C - Retail Hierarchy (PDF 180 KB)
- Technical Supplement 6 - Appendix D - Retail Study Report (PDF 2 MB)
- Technical Supplement 7 - Tourism (PDF 2 MB)
- Technical Supplement 8 - Minerals Development (PDF 4 MB)
- Technical Supplement 9 - Transportation (PDF 2 MB)
- Technical Supplement 9 - Appendix A - draft Mid and East Antrim Local Transport Study (PDF 10 MB)
- Technical Supplement 10 - Countryside Assessment (PDF 3 MB)
- Technical Supplement 10 - Appendix A - Landscape Character Assessment (PDF 11MB)
- Technical Supplement 10 - Appendix B - Development Pressure Analysis (PDF 2 MB)
- Technical Supplement 10 - Appendix C - Candidate Sensitive Landscape Scoring Matrix (PDF 657KB)
- Technical Supplement 10 - Appendix D - Candidate Sensitive Landscape Sociring Matrix Justification (PDF 3MB)
- Technical Supplement 10 - Appendix E - Candidate Sensitive Landscape Report
- Technical Supplement 10 - Appendix G - Maps
- Technical Supplement 11 - Health, Education, Community and Cultural Facilities (PDF 1 MB)
- Technical Supplement 12 - Public Utilities (PDF 3 MB)
- Technical Supplement 13 - Built Heritage (PDF 6 MB)
The draft Plan Strategy will be examined at Independent Examination in regard to its soundness. Accordingly, your responses should be based on soundness and directed at specific strategic policies or proposals that you consider to be unsound, along with your reasons. The tests of soundness are set out below:
- P1. Has the plan been prepared in accordance with the Council’s timetable and the Statement of Community Involvement?
- P2. Has the Council prepared its Preferred Options Paper and taken into account any representations made?
- P3. Has the plan been subject to Sustainability Appraisal including Strategic Environmental Assessment?
- P4. Did the Council comply with the regulations on the form and content of its plan and on the procedure for preparing the plan?
- C1. Did the Council take account of the Regional Development Strategy?
- C2. Did the Council take account of its Community Plan?
- C3. Did the Council take account of policy and guidance issued by the Department?
- C4. Has the plan had regard to other relevant plans, policies and strategies relating to the council’s district or to any adjoining council’s district?
Coherence and effectiveness tests
- CE1. The plan sets out a coherent strategy from which its policies and allocations logically flow and where cross boundary issues are relevant is it in conflict with the plans of neighbouring Councils.
- CE2. The strategy, policies and allocations are realistic and appropriate having considered the relevant alternatives and are founded on a robust evidence base.
- CE3. There are clear mechanisms for implementation and monitoring.
- CE4. The plan is reasonably flexible to enable it to deal with changing circumstances.
Those wishing to make representations seeking to change the draft Plan Strategy should clearly state why they consider the document to be unsound having regard to the tests above. It is very important that when you are submitting your representation that your response reflects the most appropriate soundness test(s) which you believe the draft Plan Strategy fails to meet. There will be no further opportunity to submit information once the consultation period has closed unless the Examiner requests it.
Those who make a representation seeking to change the draft Plan Strategy should also state whether they wish to be heard orally. Unless people specifically request a hearing, the Examiner will proceed on the basis that you are content for your representations to be considered in written form only.
You may find it useful to refer to the Department for Infrastructure’s ‘Development Plan Practice Note 06 - Soundness’ as well as the ‘Procedures for Independent Examination of Local Development Plans’, both are available on the Department for Infrastructure website's Development Plan Practice Notes page.
Furthermore, the Planning Appeals Commission have also produced guidance entitled ‘Procedures for Independent Examination of Local Development Plans’ are available on the Planning Appeals Commission website's Procedural Guides page.